Author Topic: Seils & Egan, Parsonstown (Birr)  (Read 8929 times)

Offline Seilsa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seils & Egan, Parsonstown (Birr)
« on: Sunday 18 March 12 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,
I'm trying to find out more of my ggrandfather and ggrandmother. My ggf was a Prussian soldier of fortune - as far as I know - and married my  ggm in Parsonstown - now Birr - in 1867. I take it he would have been in the barracks there at the time or maybe earlier. There was an age difference as he was 64 when he died in Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1892 (c1828-1892) and she died same town, Govan in 1909 aged 56 (c1852-1909) ( hmm 25 years between them ) He must have been about 40? and she 15.?? they only had the two children
His name was Frederick Seils and she was Margaret Egan, I then have them in England 1871 census in Stoke Demeral, Devon with two children born 1869 & 1870 - my gf -then Govan in 1881,1891 of where we have all been born in.
Outside of my ggf Frederick all of my ancestry is Irish ( Sligo and Armagh ) and it's not too easy getting our Irish  forebears! this site is the best I've seen so far.
Hoping I might find out more of my ggm's folks the Egan's
I've lived in Australia for over the past forty years now
Regards   Andrew

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Seils & Egan, Parsonstown (Birr)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 12 03:55 GMT (UK) »
you know that Frederick was in the british army?  he was in the 2nd foot regiment.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seilsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 12 05:14 GMT (UK) »
No I didn't know, but certainly on his death certificate my grandfather had put Army Pensioner though I hadn't found out any of his service so far.
Thanks very much as it is still a good piece of information
I may add that Margaret Seils nee Egan died on the 17 Jan 1908 and her father's name was Patrick Egan (Farmer) and her mother was Ann Loughnare - maybe Loughlin?.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 12 06:19 GMT (UK) »
2 of his children have births referenced under the army births index,,,so you could order their birth certificates from the GRO if required.  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 12 06:28 GMT (UK) »
just as a footnote,,one of those children....Augustine...joined the 4th  Queens own Hussars in 1887,,,but he was tried,convicted and imprisoned for making a false statement on enlistment. ;)

Offline Seilsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 12 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi that would have been my grandfather, and I'd think it would have to have been in the UK, as they were all in Govan then unless he went over to Ireland.
Augustine got married in 1893 to my gm from Sligo
When listening to my father, it would seem that even he - my dad - had walked over lots of Ireland, but that's another story!! I will try for those Birth Certs
Thanks again

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 12 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a marriage cert for your ggrandparents ?
This should show father's names and occupations, current residences for the bride and groom etc...

Here are the likely BMD index references for the marriage :

name: Frederick Seils
  Registration district: Parsonstown
  Event type: Marriage
  Year: 1867
  Volume :  3 / Page: 697

There's a Margaret Egan with same details - i.e. on the same register page. You can use the references above to order a research marriage cert from the GRO.

I should mention that the surname Egan is very common around the midlands..

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 March 12 10:03 GMT (UK) »
there's also an extracted record of the marriage on FamilySearch, which gives a little more detail but leaves out a few useful details- such as occupations, residences of the bride & groom, names of witness, name of the church or registry office etc.

Groom: Frederick Seils  / single
   Bride: Margaret Egan / single
   Marriage Date: 05 Mar 1867
   Marriage Location : Birr/Parsonstown, King's County / Co. Offaly
   Groom's father: James Seils
   Bride's father:  Patrick Egan
   Reference Number: P697 #32

see : link

Margaret would have been born well before the start of civil registration of births in 1864, so you would need to check for church records for a possible baptism. see:

Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Seilsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 March 12 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
 I'm been trying for their marriage certificate - Frederick and Margaret -, but it only goes back to 1920.

I'll be wrong somewhere I guess and will go through your help lines again, which are really an excellent help to me

((( Remember, I'm new to the board and will probably take a wee while to get used to it in using your help)))

I already have some of the info from Ancestry.com and maybe I'm at the wrong GRO??

Regards