Author Topic: Any idea how I can find Dublin solicitors in the C18th?  (Read 2984 times)

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any idea how I can find Dublin solicitors in the C18th?
« on: Wednesday 21 March 12 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know of any listings of Dublin solicitors in latter half of 18th century and first couple of decades of 19th century? 

Interest is the origins of WG Bradley and sons solicitors founded in 1780?  There is a long line of William Bradley's from my great uncle and great grandfather in the eaarly 20th century back, but I get stuck at William James Bradley, solicitor, born Dublin 1794.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Any idea how I can find Dublin solicitors in the C18th?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Legal professions are usually listed in directories, but will usually only give basic details. I think the place to check is probably King's Inn. They have records for various legal professions, and as far as I remember there were quite detailed records noted for people when they entered. e.g. father's name, place of birth etc

The only Bradley listing I see in Legal profession for Ireland in Pigott's 1824 is a Wm. J. Bradley, of 38 York Street. He is listed as Attorney.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane,  I know about the William James Bradley in 1824 Pigotts - he is where I get stuck and I don't think there are earlier Dublin almanacks.

Thanks for pointing me at King's Inns.  I  will send the archivist an email.

Tompion

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 12:35 GMT (UK) »
look for the Treble Almanac - It's has a more basic listing but goes back much further... 1760s I think.

I have a couple at home, will check later

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 13:01 GMT (UK) »
That would be great - the founder was called William Gordon Bradley (around 1750-1790 presumably) and I assume there is another generation (or two) between him and William James Bradley (born 1794) - they will probably be called William as right through to the 20th Century the eldest son was always William and took over the family firm.

Many thanks - I have also emailed King's Inns.

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 15:18 GMT (UK) »
King's Inn library were very helpful and scanned a couple of pages from the book below.

For those interested in Irish lawyers/attorneys, barristers, a key book seems to be:

Keane, Phair, Sadleir (eds.) King’s Inns Admission papers 1607-1867, Irish Manuscripts Commission, 1982.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered that the Irish Manuscripts Commission has a digitized version of that book online (along with a number of others)

See : IMC - Digitization

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Excellent and from the introduction it looks as though you can get quite a lot of extra useful admission information about any lawyer listed here.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I havn't found any earlier directory details for Attorney/Solicitors named Bradley - but did find a few an additional details for W.J. in his Attorney entry in Wilson's Directory 1829 (part of the Treble Almanac)

W.J. Bradley (KCE +), Sec. & Law Agent to Trust. of Malahide Turnpike Roads, 12 Mecklenburgh St.

The letters following his name on the entry denote the courts to which he belongs - King's Bench, Common Peas and Exchequer., the + denotes  'admitted Solicitor in Chancery'

Working back from 1824 and 1829, the next oldest directory I have is 1813, but based on the admission Index, it looks like the first of the Bradleys listed qualified in 1813 - so may just have missed the edition I have..

Shane
My Surname Interests