Author Topic: 1822 Coastguard Station Portmore, Stranraer -Closed  (Read 4093 times)

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1822 Coastguard Station Portmore, Stranraer -Closed
« on: Wednesday 21 March 12 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Seeking help to identify the location of the Portmore Coastguard Station , Stranraer.
My relation James Davidson age 21 joined the Coastguard on 24 th April 1822 as a Commander Boatman, he then went on to serve another 38 years before retiring on full pension of £37.00 in January 1860.

We are planning a visit to Stranraer in May so hope someone will be help with the location of the CG station.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Just noticed the coastguard record also states Portmore inc Cairn Ryan so maybe in that area of the coast.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1822 Coastguard Station Portmore, Stranraer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
There is this info here www.mcwhirterfamilytree.com/DNA/19102-I1c/aqwn02.htm which has:

1825 November 11th William entered the coastguard service (ADM 175/3) andhis first appointment was to Portmore. Portmore appears on the 1870 mapand is some 2 miles north of Kirkolm.

Also, a number of mentions of Portmore here http://jimzglebeblog.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Portmore

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1822 Coastguard Station Portmore, Stranraer
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 12 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Monica, many thanks for these leads.

Incidentally William McWhirter did replace my relative James Davidson at the station - he had joined as one of the first intake in 1822.
James went off to Port Logan and to many other CG station around Britian