Author Topic: Rowland/Roland HOLLOWAY  (Read 14911 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland/Roland HOLLOWAY
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 March 12 03:55 GMT (UK) »
OK I just downloaded the image for Frances/Fanny Holloway's death in 1914. Informant was her daughter Lillian. Children are listed as follows: Beatrice, Frances 34 years, Lillian 31, Rose deceased, Rolland (note double "L" again) 27, Florence 25.
There's a bit of descrepancy in age between this Rolland and the one in the US census. Unless he has lowered his age to match his wife's.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 March 12 03:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a Rowland HOLLOWAY/Rowland Hill HOLLOWAY on the Electoral Rolls in QLD for the years 1913 & 1919.

James Bevan HOLLOWAY had a brother Rowland Hill HOLLOWAY born in SA.
So, perhaps this is the one you are looking for & he was named after his uncle  :-\

No, I think I have a burial somewhere for him. I think it's the brother, not the son.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 March 12 03:57 GMT (UK) »
And James had an uncle Rowland in England as well.  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 March 12 03:59 GMT (UK) »
There is an index entry for a Rowland HILL shipping to New York but I am too poor  ::) to have a world-wide sub to ancestry so have no details.  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 March 12 04:04 GMT (UK) »
There’s an index for the 1920 US census on familysearch

Rolland is indexed as aged 29, and Rose 23.  They are at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The SSDI indexes are also on familysearch
There’s Rolland HOLLOWAY with a date of birth of 28 May 1920, and his death was January 1987, at age 67, and last residence is Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Fingers crossed that the chap born in May 1920 was your chap’s son

https://www.familysearch.org 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 March 12 04:12 GMT (UK) »
One of our regular RChatters posted this link re indexes for outward bound passengers from UK

http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/#search_now

Who was the R A Holloway from Liverpool to New York in 1919 ?
Who was the Roland HOLLOWAY born 1923 from Liverpool to New York in 1957 ?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 March 12 04:19 GMT (UK) »
The SS VOLTAIRE sailed from Montervideo on 15 Dec 1915 and arrived 3 Jan 1916 New York.  Mainfest of Alien passengers for United States of America.   Rowland HOLLOWAY 26 Fireman born Australia.  Page crossed with NOT COUNTED and  Distressed American Seaman.  All are crew.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 March 12 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Oh please excuse numerous spelling errors in my last post :-[
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 March 12 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Well found Cando,   

So the SS Voltaire arrived Jan 1916 to New York.

Oops,  I ought to have added

US 1930 CENSUS indexed at family search too and it gives  ....

Rowland was aged 39, white, married, born Australia immigrated 1916 (so was he AT THE FRONT as a US resident observing etc, AND Rowlands Mum and Dad were both born in Australia, perhaps IF he was in the military, he enlisted in CANADA ??? )
wife and children detailed on that index too  ;)

Cheers,  JM  PS, I can't spell so I did not read ANY spelling errors !  BUT I did overlook noting that the info I posted was from 1930 US Census  ::)  ::)