Author Topic: Rowland/Roland HOLLOWAY  (Read 14913 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Rowland/Roland HOLLOWAY
« on: Thursday 22 March 12 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,
I need help to find an ancestor that the only concrete reference I have is in an obituary for his father.

"Mr. James Bevan. Holloway died at Kyneton, Victoria, on January 25, after a short illness. Mr. Holloway was for many years in business in Adelaide, but for some time past had resided in Victoria. Mr. Holloway was the eldest son of the late Mr. Hugh Holloway. He left three daughters and one son (Mr. Roland Holloway), who is at the front." The Adelaide Advertiser, Friday 4th February 1916 (courtesy Trove website).

I cannot find a birth or death record for Roland/Rowland. Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland/Roland Holloway
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 12 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

As Rowland/Roland was at the Front in 1916, have you considered that sadly he may have not been among those who returned from the Front?

Perhaps

the AIF service records at the NAA http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/index.aspx
the CWGC http://www.cwgc.org/
the WWI nominal roll http://www.awm.gov.au/research/people/nominal_rolls/first_world_war/
if he may have travelled to NZ to enlist  http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/130/cenotaph-database

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland/Roland HOLLOWAY
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 12 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Majm.
I have checked the NAA and CWGC before, and nothing has jumped out at me. The NZ drew a blank too unfortunately.
If I can find a birth record for him, it at least puts him on the map. The three daughters mentioned in the obituary were all born in SA, but that doesn't mean much I realise. I am almost resigned to the fact his birth was missed being registered.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 12 02:29 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if perhaps he enlisted under a different surname (quite a few did).... perhaps under his mother's nee name?  Or perhaps he enlisted in England or other countries in the British Empire?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/8687582 this is the link to the newspaper cutting you cite, and what I notice is that the cutting says he is "Mr Roland Holloway who is at the Front" .... it doesn't say for example "serving at the Front" and it uses the title "Mr" rather than his military rank....   Perhaps he was not in the Forces, perhaps he was "at the Front" in another capacity ....  as a reporter, photographer come to mind....

Do you know the years of birth for his three sisters?  ..... is there a gap that could be his birth year?   

I am very NSW centric and not much "chop"  with SA or Vic searches, sorry.

Adding :  If this was a search for a birth in NSW, then if Rowland/Roland was older than any of his sisters, his name and age would be noted on those younger sisters birth certs, does that principle work with SA birth certs?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 12 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately not, Majm. SA is the poor relation when it comes to certificate information. Nothing but the bare essentials, and even they go missing sometimes! I get very jealous when I see NSW and Vic certificates and the wealth of genealogical information they contain. On top of that, last time I checked, SA certs are the most expensive in the country.
Regarding Roland, that is a good point about him "at the front"; I hadn't considered that. I have found a possible marriage for him in 1918 in Kent, and a fellow researcher has found what looks like the same couple in the US in later censuses. Just need to link the 2 Roland's. Probably a marriage certificate might have to be bought I think.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland/Roland Holloway
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 12 03:02 GMT (UK) »
There is no birth registered in SA for Roland/Rowland to James Bevin HOLLOWAY and Frances WOOLFORDE and spelling variations thereof. Births registered - Beatrice Fanny Frances 1876, twins Lilian and Rose, 1881 and Ruby Adelaide 1883.  

There is certainly a gap between the time of their marriage and the birth of the first child registered
HOLLOWAY James Bevan Status Single  21 years   Father Hugh HOLLOWAY
WOOLFORDE Frances 20 years  Status Single Father James WOOLFORDE
7 May 1871 at Clayton Manse, Norwood     Ade 332/87

I have trawled all the ROWLAND service records for WW1 and I cannot see an enlistment for a Rowland/Roland HOLLOWAY.

The only death notice I can find for James in 1916 in the Advertiser and possibly an In Memoriam for his mother, Catherine.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kyp/

and short obituary which you transcribed.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0kyq/

I note that his death registration does not list his parents details however the death notice does.

HOLLOWAY James Bevan
Father Unknown  Mother Unknown UNKNOWN
At Kyneton 64 years  1916  Reg#2352

His wife died in 1914 and they are buried at - James' age is incorrect on the burial record.
http://www.fcmp.com.au/deceaseddetail.asp?ServiceID=14299&location=RC*B***517&Cemetery=Coburg

HOLLOWAY Francis Fanny
Father Wilfred Wm  Mother Unknown UNKNOWN
At Fitzroy South  59 years  1914  Reg#1589

I note a couple of their daughters died in Victoria.  Looks life Florence May's birth c1887 wasn't registered either.

Deaths  
WHITWAM Beatrice Frances
Father Holloway James  Mother Frances  WINFRED
At Caulfied  90 years  1967  Reg#24959

TAYLOR Florence May
Father Holloway James  Mother Frances  UNKNOWN
At Coburg  88 years 1971  Reg#29550

You can search for Florence May's burial here - she is noted as Florence Mary TAYLOR on the index ::)
http://www.fcmp.com.au/deceasedstandard.asp

Still no closer to finding a birth registration for Roland/Rowland however I doubt his birth was registered.  The family lived in Adelaide and births registered in Adelaide registration district so doubtful they didn't make the SA Registry as often was the case with rural bdm registrations.

Either of their death certificates should list all the issue of the marriage both living and deceased.  It is usually advisable to purchase the death of the first partner ie in this case Frances, as hopefully the information was given by James or one of the daughters who died in Victoria.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 March 12 03:05 GMT (UK) »
SA certs are the most expensive in the country.

I think you'll find that WA certs are more expensive.

Transcriptions are available
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,280572.msg1367795.html#msg1367795

http://gravesecrets.weebly.com/adelaide-bdm-free-transcriptions.html
but please note you need to have ALL the details - they do not do genealogical research.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 March 12 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Cando.
I have most of that, but didn't have the burial info for James and Frances. Actually, I hadn't considered a death certificate; but won't it simply tell me they had a son, or possibly just name him? What other information am I likely to get regarding Roland?
And I feel better that WA are more expensive now.....   ::)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 March 12 03:22 GMT (UK) »
And I feel better that WA are more expensive now.....   ::)

;D  Well, I am chuckling away here ..... I hope that they have a tad more info than the SA ones  ;D  As there's only the essentials on the SA ones, then it seems to me that the available SA indexes would have just about all the info available for family history purposes.

Cheers, JM