Author Topic: St Paul, Walkden  (Read 4672 times)

Offline sue_d18

• RootsChat Extra
  • xxx
    • View Profile
St Paul, Walkden
« on: Friday 23 March 12 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I went for a walk round the graveyard today because the weather was nice and I only live 5 mins away. I am absolutely disgusted with the church/ council over the state of this graveyard.
It looks very nice from the A6 but as soon as you go round the side and the back out of 'public' view it is an absolute mess. Just thought I'd let anyone know who plans to find any graves here.
 You need a steady foot and alot of the graves are tipped over and not easy to read due to overgrown vegetation.
Alot of the grave stones have been moved to build some houses in the middle of the grave yard at the rear of the church.

Sorry for my rant but it just annoyed me the state of it >:(

Sue
Dawson, Lewis, Hughes, White, Kirk, Garthwaite, Topping, Hall, Russell, Heap, Rowley, Barlow, Devonport, McCluskey

Offline sue_d18

• RootsChat Extra
  • xxx
    • View Profile
Re: St Paul, Walkden
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 12 15:56 GMT (UK) »
More Pics
Dawson, Lewis, Hughes, White, Kirk, Garthwaite, Topping, Hall, Russell, Heap, Rowley, Barlow, Devonport, McCluskey

Offline sue_d18

• RootsChat Extra
  • xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 12 15:59 GMT (UK) »
This guy was rector of St James Manchester

Offline EcclesCake2003

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
 >:(

Yes I have to agree

I remember this graveyard when it was nice to just walk around looking at the old graves

what a shameful site and it is happening to a lot of our Old graveyards

SHAME SHAME SHAME on the local Councils,Give some of the lazy layabouts a jobs to do cleaning up and repairing these places

don,t just let them  go to rot and ruin a lot of history lies in those places it says alot of the area as it was years ago

Ecclescake2003

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
I am so upset at the photographs of St Paul's Walkden graveyard. & the state it has been allowed to get it.

I married there back in 1961 & lived in Walkden prior to 1979.My family are still there.Sometime ago I did hear of some mindless vandalism but to me it looks as though it has just been left to go to rack & ruin.

The responsibility would not only be with the local council (Salford) but also with the diocesan authorities surely.There is a vicarage in the grounds of the church & surely they still have a vicar in attendance so are they blinkered or what?

I think there is a need to contact the Salford Reporter newspaper as I am sure this is something they would be glad to pick up on.as I am in Spain & there is not a lot I can do but I will most certainly bring it to someones attention via the Salford Forum.

Regards

Betty
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline JSN618

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
I have walked round the churchyard recently and also find it a disgrace - I am trying to locate the " Vicar " in order to take it up with them . I can be contacted on * . Please advise the others concerned by the state of the churchyard and together we will get something done !

Email address removed to prevent spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message(PM) system for email addresses and other private information

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

New members must make 3 posts before being allowed to use the system

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 August 13 12:13 BST (UK) »
tried to find graves last saturday but it was a futile task (even with numbers known of some) so asked if burial map / books etc where available - swift response from vicar and wardens - apparently having issues with the gardener hence the overgrown state but sadly regarding searching for burials:-

"there is a fee for this service of £21 per hour or part thereof if you wish to go ahead, which the Church of England require us to charge. There is also a fee of £11 for copies of entries."

oh well I'll have to give that a miss

:(

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 August 13 12:43 BST (UK) »
tried to find graves last saturday but it was a futile task (even with numbers known of some) so asked if burial map / books etc where available - swift response from vicar and wardens - apparently having issues with the gardener hence the overgrown state but sadly regarding searching for burials:-

"there is a fee for this service of £21 per hour or part thereof if you wish to go ahead, which the Church of England require us to charge. There is also a fee of £11 for copies of entries."

oh well I'll have to give that a miss

:(

Well there is only one word for this response from them : Disgraceful!! Sorry I mean two, the other one is Appalling!

Why is everyone out to make money these days?
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair