Author Topic: Patrick Preston Homestead  (Read 6487 times)

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Preston Homestead
« on: Saturday 24 March 12 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if the house my great-grandfather Patrick Preston lived in still exists.  He and his wife Mary rented from Charles Gardiner.  The location would be somewhere within plots 7, 8 and 9 on Griffiths Valuation, Knockaun, County Mayo.  As nearly as I can tell, the property would have been southeast of Downpatrick Head.  They lived in house number one in the area in the 1911 census and also had a cow building and a stable.
Preston, Knockaun Township, Co. Mayo, Ireland; James, Martin, Wareing from Preston, Lancashire, England

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Preston Homestead
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 12 13:37 GMT (UK) »
The numbers on the census dont help with the location, but the Griffith's plot number and map should..

Can you confirm the first name - I dont see a Patrick Preston in Kilbride civil parish ?

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 12 13:43 GMT (UK) »
found a Michael  Preston at Knockaun townland on Griffith's - dated 1856. He's the one with sites 7,8 and 9

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 12 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Based on the Griffith's returns the house Michael Preston lived in was somewhere in site 9 since sites 7 & 8 are listed as just land, although the house is not shown on the maps on AskAboutIreland. These maps date from slightly later, so sometimes the sites change.

The closest buildings seem to be those in sites 11 and 7 (where the return indicated there's just land...) - so maybe the house was one of these.

There are some buildings at the same location shown on the OSI maps that might be worth checking. See : 'Park', Knockaun   There's no sign if this small road on Google Maps..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 12 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies and especially thanks for the link to the ordinance map.  I'm fairly certain that Michael Preston was Patrick's father.  Patrick's elder son, Michael, was my grand uncle.  Also, the Valuation lists Gardiner as the landlord for Michael and I know that Charles Gardiner was Patrick's landlord. 
Preston, Knockaun Township, Co. Mayo, Ireland; James, Martin, Wareing from Preston, Lancashire, England

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 16:34 BST (UK) »
Shane,

Would you have any idea where I could find "Park" on a "real" map?  I've tried to look on Google Earth.  I was hoping perhaps the coordinates on the ordnance map related to specific locations.

Thank you,
Pat

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
The small road that runs past Park is not included on Google maps - but you can see it on the modern version of the OSI map. This is the option labelled - 'Street Map Beta'

see : Park / Knockaun (Modern view)

you can also select an aerial view using the 'Ortho' views :

Park / Knockaun   (2005)

This is the equivalent view on Google satellite, which does show the small road/driveway : 

Park / Knockaun

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline 19cats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 16:50 BST (UK) »
Shane,

Thank you for the information.  When I get home tonight, I'll check these out.

Pat

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
the full coordinates for the location are :

Lat    = 54 degrees,   18.8 minutes   North
  Long =  9 degrees,    20.8 minutes   West

(or decimal 54.313181,-9.346558)

S.
My Surname Interests