Author Topic: Thomas T Harman Cheltenham or Prestbury?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline intaligo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas T Harman Cheltenham or Prestbury?
« on: Saturday 24 March 12 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Have run into a dead end with an ancestor and wonder if anyone could be of help. 

Name Thomas Thealric/Thalric Harman. 
Born -- about 1831/1832 in Gloucestershire
Father's name -- Thomas Harman -- deceased by 1854 -- occupation: "printer"
Mother's name -- unknown

I have a copy of his marriage registration/license to Elizabeth Craddock, in 1854, in Birmingham, Warwickshire, aged 22.

He died in 1893 in Birmingham. 

I have found him in the Birmingham, Warwickshire census returns in 1861 with birthplace given as Cheltenham

In 1871 he is in Gloucestershire, listed as a "boarder for the night" at the Feathers Inn in Coleford, "out of employ" and he lists his birthplace as Prestbury.  (I suspect he might have been visiting family?)  He is then also listed in the 1871 Birmingham, Warwickshire census, with his wife and children, and gives his birthplace as Cheltenham.

In the 1881 census he is in Birmingham with his family, listing Cheltenham as birthplace (if my memory serves me right)

In 1891, in Birmingham, he lists his birthplace as Prestbury.

Information I'm trying to learn on him is:

Birthplace and date
Any further information on his father and mother
Where he was in the 1851 census
Any information on possible siblings

I know that he was a writer all his adult life and that he had four children, three of whom survived to adulthood.  All four of them were given the middle name of Thealric.  I don't know what the connection is with that name.

Any and all help would be immensely appreciated. 

Best,
Intaglio

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas T Harman Cheltenham or Prestbury?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 March 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Source: Glos Family History Society (GFHS)
HARMAN, Thomas, son of Samuel & Sarah, a Shoemaker of Prestbury, baptised 8th January 1832 at St Mary, Prestbury, Cheltenham, Glos.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline intaligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 March 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Victor!  I have been banging my head on the wall on this one for about two years now.  How incredibly kind of you to find it for me, and so fast too!

Thank you, thank you!

Ann

Offline intaligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
Victor,

It's the wrong Harman.

Just before I went to sleep last night I suddenly remembered that Thomas's father's is listed on his marriage certificate -- and he's not Samuel.  His name was Thomas also, and while he was deceased at that point, his occupation was listed as a "printer".  So alas my celebrating was premature and I'm back to putting dents in the wall again. 

At least I know now why Prestbury and Cheltenham are both given as Thomas Jr's birthplace, being that they are right in the same area.

(I wonder who the Thomas, son of Samuel and Sarah is now -- perhaps a cousin.....)

Ann

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 12 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
Sorry, I misread the CD and entered the parents for another Thomas baptism.
My entry should have read "HARMAN, Thomas, son of Thomas & Martha, a Shoemaker of Prestbury, baptised 8th January 1832 at St Mary, Prestbury".
This doesn't agree with the occupation?
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline intaligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Victor,

No, the rank or profession of his father given on Thomas's entry of marriage in 1854 is listed as "printer".  (Although as mentioned, at that point his father was deceased.)

How many Thomas Harman's could have been born in that small area during that time frame though? 

Would there be a possibility that his father could have had more than one trade?  Although even at that, if so, I would think printer might have been considered more important, and listed first. 

This is most perplexing.

Ann

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 March 12 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
It is a conundrum! My only suggestion is to check the 1851 Census. I looked for a marriage for his parents but came up blank.
Victor

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 March 12 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
Well, I finally got there. I couldn't find the marriage because of my original error in reading the CD.
Source: Glos Family History Society (GFHS) Marriages 1800-1837:-
Thomas HARMAN m. Martha HEMMINGS at St Mary, Cheltenham (NOT Prestbury) 13th September 1831, by banns.
Victor

Offline intaligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 March 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Victor,

While family history is fun, and it's interesting, no one has ever said it's easy, have they!

Thank you for persevering and searching further.  I will see what I can do with that information now.  I have a subscription to Ancestry, but of course most of what they have available relates to after public records were required.  I live in the US, which makes it very difficult to try to sort through what might be in parish records -- especially if one doesn't even know which parish the individual might have come from to begin with.

I know Thomas's father was deceased by the time he (Thomas) married in Birmingham in 1854, but perhaps he was still living at the 1851 census return, so I will hunt for him and/or Martha in that, and see if that might shed any light on them and their possible connection.

Thank you again for your kind and diligent assistance!  Off now to more investigating..........

Ann