Author Topic: Cowan of Londonderry  (Read 2737 times)

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cowan of Londonderry
« on: Tuesday 27 March 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to find a James Cowan who married and Agnes Ann ____ in Londonderry in the late 1830s.  I am wondering if they were from the Ballykelly area.  Sorry I don't have much to go on.

Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cowan of Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
I found a couple of more tidbits that might help.  James Cowan had Mary Ann, born in Ireland about 1840; Elizabeth, born in Ireland about 1841; and William, Sarah J., Matilda, Joseph H., Frances Lavina, Catherine, James Perry, and Edward H., all born in New Brunswick, Canada.  James appeared to have left Ireland in 1842 or 1843.

Offline mulvenna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
I see from Bill McAfee's incredibly useful website that there were 21 COWANs and variants listed on the 1831 census for Londonderry. http://www.billmacafee.com/1831census.htm

For what it's worth my COWAN ancestors are from the townland of Greenan, Faughanvale

My gr-gr-grandmother Letitia COWAN is listed in the Faughanvale Presb. baptisms b.1824 to parents John COWAN and Mary HUNTER. She is the only baptism listed for my gr-gr-gr-grandparents.

Gerry

MULVENNA, McGAREL, MATTHEWS, MORROW, GIBSON, ROBINSON, McKAY (Co. Antrim); O'CONNOR, MULLAN, PERRY, CAMPBELL, COWAN, McGUIGAN, HUNTER (Co. Derry); McCRORY, MULGREW (Co. Tyrone)

Offline waughp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 20 17:36 GMT (UK) »
A few years have passed but...James Cowan m. Agnes Perry. Agnes died in New Brunswick. Newspaper Notice:
d. Springfield (Kings Co.) 9th inst., Agnes Ann COWAN, age 63, w/o James COWAN. Going to the hayfield with her husband, she was induced to get into the hay wagon into which a small quantity of hay was placed from which she accidentally fell receiving injuries of which she died some days later. She was a native of Londonderry, Ireland, came to this country 43 years ago with her husband and united with the 1st Baptist Church at Springfield; left husband, eight children.

August 31 1881  County Saint John, Saint John [NB]  Newspaper: Christian Visitor

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 22 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the eventual replies.  I got caught up with life and did not notice them till now.  I as wondering about the family because Kinkeads, Limericks and Cowans of the Ballykelly area were intermarried.  Always looking for potential links to my Kincaids from Londonderry that settled near Springfield parish (adjacent Studholm parish) in Kings county, NB.

For information on the Cowan connections I'm interested in the Ballykelly area one can refer to my research notes at https://kyncades.org/Bally.pdf on my kyncades.org website.