Author Topic: Saurins of Garballagh, Duleek and Mathews of Mount Hanover House  (Read 14906 times)

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Saurins of Garballagh, Duleek and Mathews of Mount Hanover House
« on: Wednesday 28 March 12 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am researching the Saurin family of Garballagh House, Garballagh, Duleek, Meath. Michael Saurin married Belinda Mathews who was from the Mathews family that lived in Mount Hanover House nearby. Both families were fairly well-to-do, I think but I have hit a brick wall in tracing Michael and Belinda back.
I do know Belinda was born in 1800 and she died on 1st September 1874. Michael was born in 1793 and died on 13 January 1880.
Michael and Belinda's children were Georgina Theresa Saurin, Susan Saurin who became a nun and who was involved in the 'Great Convent Case', Michael JJ Saurin and Patrick Matthew Vincent Saurin.
Any info much appreciated.

Offline saurin101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Saurins of Garballagh, Duleek and Mathews of Mount Hanover House
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi I may be able to help. I have some paperwork on the Mathews family. My grandmother was Jane Saurin.I believe her name was Brigid Mathews (not Belinda)  and she was descended on her fathers side from the McMahon,and her mothers side from the Duff.There is a little too much to post here,but I hope that it might have helped.

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks so much for this. This is potentially very exciting actually. I'll tell you my connection. My father's mother was Belinda Gwendoline Saurin who was Jane's sister (I was adopted though so this isn't my blood family). One of my father's middle names in MacMahon as is one of my cousin Charles's. My father died in 1992 long before I was doing this family research so I couldn't ask him about all this and Charles doesn't know where the MacMahon comes from. I have been trying to find out but to no avail until now!
So am I correct in saying your ancestor is Jane Mary Austin Saurin who married Thomas Hand?
As for Bridget/Belinda - I have a death for a Belinda Saurin in 1874 in Drogheda and I assumed that was Michael JJ Saurin's wife. I could order the death cert to find out, I suppose. Also my father's mother was called Belinda and another of the children Mary Thomasina Belinda Saurin (also known as Moyra or Mimi) had the name too so I assumed they were named after their mother. I am totally prepared to be wrong though!
I am in touch with various other descendants - my cousins and also Moyra's descendants and Matthew JJ Saurin's (the youngest child who went to the USA) too and they will be very excited to hear about all of this.
It sounds like these families were quite well to do back in their day and I would love to find out more about them all. My email is * if you would like to take this further and send me some paperwork (I hope you do!)

best wishes,

Emma Anderson

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to send or receive Personal Messages. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
dont know if you've already seen these - marriages in Dublin for two children of Michael & Belinda Saurin.

Marriage of Michael J.J. Saurin & Anna C. Nugent - 24 Nov 1875
   Parish : St. Mary's RC, Dublin city
   Residence to Michael - 'Co. Meath'

Marriage of Francis Kerr & Georgina Saurin - 18 Oct 1876
   Parish : St. Andrew's RC, Dublin city
   Residence for Georgina - 'Duleek'

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline evjanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 13:59 BST (UK) »
Yes I have those.
Are on on ancestry? I can let you see my tree if you like.I have done quite a lot of work on it but became stuck on Belinda/Bridget.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately RC parish records for Duleek parish only go back to the 1850s, so you may not be able to get any further back

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline saurin101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma, Yes my grandmother was Jane Saurin and she was married to Thomas Hand. Was Bill Anderson your dad? He would have been my dads first cousin!I would love to email you but we cannot put emails on this forum. The paperwork I have regarding the McMahon side is lengthy.I  don't really know what to do next.
Michael JJ Saurins wife was Annie Cassandra Nugent.She was related to the Earls of West Meath!I believe she lived to a good age She is in the 1911 census in dublin living with her daughter Cassandra.It could also be possible Michael JJ was married twice(but I doubt it). I am also in touch with Mimis descendants in fact I live quite close to John, Mimis son.I was wondering what happened to Mathew JJ Saurin. Now I know! By the way my dad was Michael Hand the youngest of Janes' children. He died in 1993. Anyway,if you can think of a way of communicating,let me know.I think we have to make three posts before we can use the Personal Message System(Just read that down the page)!
Best Wishes
Colette Carter (nee Hand)

Offline James Dunne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My grandmother was Linda Kenny (ne Hand - who I believe was Janes Daughter?)

I am also doing my family tree.     I would love to compare notes.

1.   Michael and Cassandra Duleek Co Meath 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Meath/Duleek/Garballagh/1609256/
Daughters
Mary 22, Jane 21, Cassandra 18?, Belinda 16

2.   John Hand + Bridget 1901 Dullek Meath
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Meath/Duleek/Garballagh/1609253/
John Hand 59   b.1842 living in Garballagh House Duleek Co Meath
Bridget   57   b.1844
James     27 b. 1876 occupation  Coachman
Thomas    25
Margeret   22
Mary    14
John     10
John Hand moves around to Carianstown in Meath
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Meath/Duleek/Garballagh/709471/

Cassandra widow and her daughter are living in Sandycove -Occupation “Land Rents”
7 children!
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Kingstown_No__4/Sandycove_Avenue__West/97675/
They have a maid Alice Lee. There is an Alice Lee in Dulleek  in 1901 -  so she msut have moved up to serve them. This was common practice.
Michael must have died in 1902.
I See notice of Auction of sale of M.J. Saurins house and lands in Irish Times
In 1901 he was at Garballagh house but in 1911 his wife Cassandra had moved to Sandycove. 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Meath/Duleek/Commons/1609189
3.   James / Thomas ? Hand  + Mother Saurin  (Don’t know which Saurin – Jane?)
There is a Thomas here in the census – So was it Thomas and Jane Hand?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/South_Dock/Erne_Street__Upper/94503/
Jane?
Matthew 
Noel
Kitty
Mollie
Susie

Offline James Dunne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 11:17 BST (UK) »
George Kenny and Linda Hand --> Meave Kenny  (my mother).

So Jane Saurin is my great grand mother

James Dunne