Author Topic: Much Dewchurch-1600s-Markey & Porter family  (Read 5024 times)

Offline MargC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Much Dewchurch-1600s-Markey & Porter family
« on: Thursday 29 March 12 21:10 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother  Mary Ann Markey came from the Aston Ingham/ Taynton area to live in Glamorgan in the 19th century. I've traced her Markey family back to about 1695 in the Herefordshire/Gloucestershire, to James Markey who married Mary Read in Taynton in January 1716/17.

I've heard that his parents were William Markey and Elizabeth Smyth and that William was the son of John Markey and Beneddicta Hoskyns though I've no reference sources for these statements. 

I live within easy reach of Hereford so I would be willing to go to the Record Office to look things up regarding this family. Did they live in Much Dewchurch? Any advice would be welcome!

Best wishes

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Much Dewchurch-1600s-Markey & Porter family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 12 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hiya Marg
all Much Dewchurch - children of William and Elizabeth
Joane Markey 1692
William Markey 1685
Magdalene Markey 1695
Elizabeth Markey 1687
Benedicta Markey 1681
sorry - No James ...
William Markey married Elizabeth Smyth 28th september 1679 in Much Dewchurch....so first child is Benedicta - same name as the mother of William who married Elizabeth...??
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline illjaorterpa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

William Markey and Elizabeth Smyth married 1679 Much Dewchurch - are also in my family tree through their youngest daughter Magdalene Markey who married Thomas Porter in 1719. There is also another marriage a year later between Elizabeth Markey and Charles Williams in Much Dewchurch in 1680 which could be William Markey’s sister but I cannot find any christening records for either of them to see who their parents were?

I can see from other information on the web that there are suggestions that William Markey was the son of Benedicta Hoskins b.1610 Harewood Hall and John Markey b.1606 Alton but this seems incorrect because their son William Markey married both Elizabeth Cecil and Lydia (Daughter of Sir Gabriel low) and as far as I can see didn’t have children with any of them as his nephew Markey Abrahall, son of his sister Winifred inherited Alton. Also the date 1679 would be a very late marriage and to go on have children for the next 16 years!  I think there must be a family link between these Markeys and the Markeys of Alton I just cant see it. Also cant find birth records for James Markey in Herefordshire for the correct time frame.

Wish I lived nearer to Hereford library so I can get more information - good luck with your search!
Wood - Worcestershire
Porter - Coventry & Birmingham
Ward - Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire
Green - Birmingham
Stanbra - Birmingham & India
Law -Birmingham
Rabbit - BIRMINGHAM & Ireland & Canada
Jones - Worcestershire
Duffin - Warwickshire
Smith - Walsall/Perry Barr/Handsworth
Makepeace - Coventry/Northamptonshire
Hands - Warks
Taylor - Warks
Salmon - Warks
Upton - Birmingham
Fawdry - Warwickshire
Ridlington - Lincolsnhire, Cambridgeshire

Offline junepeter327

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I've just found my Markey relations - which include a lot of british aristocracy via Benedicta Hoskins (lots of Baronets and Earls).

so what I can tell you direct lineage going backwards

James Markey b1695 Taynton, Gloucs = Mary Read b1692 Taynton, Gloucs

William Markey b1636 Alton, Herefordshire = Elizabeth Smyth b1654 Almeley, Herefordshire (2nd wife)

John Markey, Esq b1606 Alton, Herefordshire = Benedicat Hoskyns b1610 Morehampton, Herefordshire

Sir John Markey b1580 Alton, Herefordshire = Lady Syble Kyrle b1570 Walford, Herefordshire

Hope this helps