Author Topic: Wright Meadows Wycombe Marsh  (Read 2953 times)

Offline awp_44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wright Meadows Wycombe Marsh
« on: Friday 30 March 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
Ralph Thomas Wright born 1879 Wycombe Marsh, Buckinghamshire died Dec 1948 Wycombe, Buckinghamshire  was the son of Sarah (nee Francis) & John Wright. He was a farmer in the Wycombe Marsh area. In the Sept Qtr of 1905 he married Emily Rebecca Ball. I have been adviced that members of his family spoke of a meadow [field] being named after the Wright family but when the occupation of a farmer was no longer pursued by family members the local council took over the field and family members thought the name was lost. However recently a family member was  doing a internet search of Wycombe Marsh and came across 'Wrights Meadow' Road which is located off Abbey Barn Road. Houses are now built on it. I wonder if this is indeed the meadow that family members are refering too.

Any information I receive of this post will be gratefully received.

Kind regards
Alan Paul
Victoria Australia

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Wright Meadows Wycombe Marsh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
Going by the 1841 census, it seems Ralph Wrights Grandfather was in Wycombe Marsh, at Lower Marsh.   A few 'doors' away is Abbey Barn.

Arthur Wright c1804 - Marlow, Bucks. (Grandfther to Ralph).
Mary  Wright c1811 - Wycombe Marsh.(Grandmother).

John Wright c1836 - High Wycombe, Bucks.(Father to Ralph).  It seems in later census, that John Wright is a Publican at Wycombe Marsh.

So a reasonable assumption is that 'Wrights Meadow', was adopted as a local landmark and to the families location.     I am not suggesting that the Wrights  owned the Meadow, just that it was named by locals as a general area of Wycombe Marsh after the family name, possibly.

Steve. :)

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
Bucks Herald 22 Dec 1894
HIGH WYCOMBE - County Petty Sessions, Fri Dec 14
James Tilbury labourer, of Wycombe Marsh, was charged with stealing, during the night of 12 Dec, from Wright's Meadow, Wycombe Marsh, two live fowls, value 4s, the property of George Wright, dealer

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 12 19:45 BST (UK) »
Bucks Herald 21 Nov 1874
Assault on a Constable
"...... PC Burfield said that on Wednesday afternoon, about one o'clock, he was on duty in plain clothes, at Wycombe Marsh, and saw the prisoner going across Mr Wright's meadow ......"

regards

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
Looks like James Tilbury ended up in Aylesbury Gaol.    Aged 44, born Lane End.  Place of residence was Marlow.

Offence - Unlawful possession of game.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Looks like James Tilbury ended up in Aylesbury Gaol.    Aged 44, born Lane End.  Place of residence was Marlow.

Offence - Unlawful possession of game.

Recieved into Jail - 20 January 1872.

Sentence -  2 months.

Offline david r smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 March 20 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Talking with my Father tonight Wrights Meadow which was behind the school both he and I went to Wycombe Marsh Primary and was used as the football pitch for the local Wycombe Marsh football team in his day. 1931.
By the time I went to the school in 1951 it was no longer a football pitch. What I do remember was that you road along the edge of the field on a dirt footpath which then crossed a little ditch and carried on past the local sewage plant (no longer there) and on towards the Rye and hence Wycombe town.