Author Topic: Relatives of Martin McClelland  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relatives of Martin McClelland
« on: Friday 30 March 12 15:51 BST (UK) »
I am needing to know if Martin McClelland has any brothers or sisters? He was born around 1818 not sure. Married Nancy Wallace who died in 1892 and he died on 10th April 1870. Lived in Portglenone Co Antrim of Mullinsallagh. They had 6 children together: Martin, Samuel Wallace, Robert, William, Elizabeth and Esther. So any ideas if he had any brothers or sisters? His father is John McClelland, no idea of who his mother is. Martin would be my ggg Grandfather

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Relatives of Martin McClelland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Mullinsallagh is the name of a townland (in Ahoghill civil parish).

There are McClellands there in 1911 census (Portglenone is the D.E.D.)- transcribed as McCelland-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Portglenone/Mullinsallagh/124238

Some details about the townland here

You'll find 3 McClellands in Will Extracts (search for Mullinsallagh in 'full acbstract' box then go to page 2 of results)-
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Martin was born well before the start of civil registration so to find any possible siblings you'd need to see if you can find church records, however, many church records pre-1850s don't exist.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 12 19:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Mullinsallagh is the name of a townland (in Ahoghill civil parish).

There are McClellands there in 1911 census (Portglenone is the D.E.D.)- transcribed as McCelland-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Portglenone/Mullinsallagh/124238

Some details about the townland here

You'll find 3 McClellands in Will Extracts (search for Mullinsallagh in 'full acbstract' box then go to page 2 of results)-
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Martin was born well before the start of civil registration so to find any possible siblings you'd need to see if you can find church records, however, many church records pre-1850s don't exist.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Thank you, but I have already found these McClellands, but not sure how they're related to Martin, I have found that they are all buried in the same graveyard - Aughnahoy old cemetery http://www.thebraid.com/genealogy.aspx The gravestone states that Johns 4 children are their, but only names Martin is written their

Offline iancargill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi D McClelland

Martin (or Marton as it is written on his gravestone, although the variation in spelling is probably not significant) McClelland was my great great grandfather. I am a descendant of his son Robert. I'm interested to know which of the four brothers your gg grandfather was: Samuel Wallace, William John or Martin (who, I believe, emigrated to the US).

I regret that I have no information about Marton's (b c1818) siblings. Like you, I knew that he married Nancy Wallace. I have seen the gravestone at the graveyard in Mullinsallagh, near Portglenone. Here is a precise transcription....

----
ERECTED
in memory of
John M’Leland who
depd this life 23rd Nov.
1821: Aged 79 Years.
Also, Four of his
Children.
MARTON M’CLELLAND KILLAYBERRY DIED 10TH APRIL 1870 AGED 52 YEARS. ALSO HIS WIFE NANCY WALLACE DIED 12TH JULY 1892 AGED 72 YEARS AND THEIR SON ROBERT DIED
7TH APRIL 1928 AGED 75 YEARS.
SAMUEL WALLACE M’LELLAND DIED 17TH MAY 1931, AGED 88 YEARS.
----

I think perhaps you have assumed (as I first did) that Marton was one of John's four children. However, I don't think this can be right. Marton was 52 when he died in 1870, which places his birth in c1818. John McLelland died in 1821, aged 79, which gives a birth date of about 1742.

John is very unlikely to have fathered a child at the age of 76! My theory is that the four children of John mentioned on the gravestone are all unnamed. Marton's name has been added later (this is apparent from a photo of the gravestone which I can send to you if you let me have your e-mail address). It seems quite possible/probable that Marton was John's *grandson* and that one of the unnamed four children was Marton's father.

Actually, I have a note of a Martin McClelland (I wish i could remember where I got the information!) who died on 12th March 1872, aged 82 (so he was born 1789/1790) and he seems to be a good candidate for the missing link! Marton's father and John's son.

You might be interested to know that my branch of the McClellands moved to the townland of Killyberry, near Bellaghy (I think it is perhaps no more than 10 miles from Portglenone), in the 1800s. The gravestone mentions 'Killayberry' suggesting that Marton and Nancy ended their days there. There are still living there today a number of McClelland families, all descended from Marton and Nancy, though their son Robert.

Hope some of this is helpful information for you.

Regards
Ian Cargill
(Belfast)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Diane McClelland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 April 12 23:49 BST (UK) »
My gg grandfather was Robert, g grandfather Samuel Wallace and Grandfather Gerald.

I have seen the gravestone in Portglenone, and the writing about his four chilldren did confuse me! I never realised the major age caps between John and Marton. Marton being Johns grandson does make it seem alot clearer and your theory on the four names being unamed does make more sense. I am interested to find out who these other 4 children were, they may be listed on the other McClelland graves?

This note on the other Martin, did he live in the Portglenone area?

Yes my Grandfather still currently lives in Killyberry! Thank you for replying, it made things alot clearer. Nice to speak to a distant cousin. Also I do not think it is possible to send email addresses via this message...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 April 12 23:53 BST (UK) »
Email addresses aren't allowed to be posted but once Ian has 3 posts he can use PM (Personal Message) system to exchange email addresses and recent family details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline iancargill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 April 12 20:22 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes, I know who you are. My father and your grandfather were first cousins. I remember staying at the Moss House and visiting your grandparents when your father was in his pram. My grandmother was Elizabeth McClelland (later Cargill). Her father was Robert McClelland.

My sister discovered the birth certificate of the other Martin (or Marton) and that is the only information we have. So, we know that he died on 12th March 1872, aged 82. He was a widower at the time of death and his occupation is given as weaver. The place of death was Ballyneace (possibly Ballynease Helton). I think this is not far from Bellaghy. I think that the McClelland who left Mullinsallagh in Portglenone lived at Ballyneace for a time before coming to Killyberry. The other piece of information on the death certificate is the informant: Elizabeth McClelland of Ballyneace.

I think it is unlikely that the four unnamed children of John are listed on other graves since the gravestone says that they are buried in that grave. I wonder if the four children died in infancy which might explain why they were not named.

Regards
Ian