Author Topic: Paisley Emigration Society – Scottish Colonisation Company.  (Read 11989 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Paisley Emigration Society – Scottish Colonisation Company.
« on: Friday 30 March 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Janette on Yesterday at 05:30:15
Hi Julie,

They may have come from Paisley

Two groups of Scots came to Auckland in the early 1840s. In 1841 the Scottish Colonisation Company despatched three vessels from the River Clyde, bearing migrants who settled first at Cornwallis Point. A year later the Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners sent out a party of more than 500 from Paisley (where the textile industry was in recession) on the Duchess of Argyll and the Jane Gifford.

Cheers Janette

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 23:07:37 »   

That was a quote from this website

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/scots/2

Cheers Janette

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there.

I’m interested in, and have done quite a bit of research into a number of the so called ‘Founding Families of Auckland’ so have read quite a bit over the years, including Janette’s “teara” link above, but it was her little quote above that made me sit up, as it was the first time I recall the mention that three ships, not two, were involved. Most Auckland history commentators, refer to the sailing of the TWO ships [Jane Gifford and the Duchess of Argyle] as the first planned founding of free emigrants for/of Auckland.

If any one can point me in the direction of the third ship, this may help with clues we need to tie up some loose ends, about associations between those Paisley emigrants. In those early days of Auckland, civil records were few and far between. If it did not make it to the newspapers, there is a good chance there is no surviving public record.

- Alan.

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Paisley Emigration Society – Scottish Colonisation Company.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 12 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

You may have misread that quote,I see it this way

Two groups of Scots came to Auckland in the early 1840s. In 1841 the Scottish Colonisation Company despatched three vessels from the River Clyde, bearing migrants who settled first at Cornwallis Point. A year later the Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners sent out a party of more than 500 from Paisley (where the textile industry was in recession) on the Duchess of Argyll and the Jane Gifford.

Meaning the were 2 groups,the first group had 3 ships,the second group a year later had 2 ships the Duchess of Argyll and the Jane Gifford.

cheers Janette

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 12 04:21 BST (UK) »
 thought it was a good time to mention the old colonists register that cna be downloaded from Auckland Library
It has the names of 13 ships to Auckland
Bye
Althea

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 March 12 04:47 BST (UK) »
Oh the joys of getting old.

First, some how, I'm managing to lock my posts, then bumbling my efforts to unlock them. Forcing the regulars to PM me to wake me up, and pointing out how I might have miss read the quote.

As well as the ones above, Beg has some good additional points to make, which I hope he will bring forward from his PM, to me, box.

One more ship, that had escaped my many years of reading, could have helped with how some of the Paisley connections evolved, in the early days at Auckland, and the coast services from Auckland.

Just a minute boy, it's not going to be as easy as that. Oh how I wish that I had asked my Grand Father, more about how some of his relatives, got here. Especially those women and their children, who just appeared unaccompanied. Who paid for the voyage to the otherside of the world? I can not find them on any assisted list.

- Alan.

P.S. In my mind I was confusing this 1842 sailing with another 1858 /1859 one, where they arrived from Scotland, in the new year.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 12 05:22 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Fresh Fields

Beg has some additional points to make, which I hope he will bring forward from his PM, to me, box.

Hello Alan...

I hope you didn't mind my PM'ing you. I just assumed you had accidentally locked the thread.

Just repeating what I said in my PM (and what Janette alluded to and Althea seems to have already disproved but I'll post it anyway :-)

----------------

How I read the snippet, which may be entirely wrong, is that there were two voyages. The first voyage of three ships in 1841 to Cornwallis Point (Manakau) and the second voyage consisting of two ships in 1842, the Duchess of Argyll and the Jane Gifford. EDIT: The same as Janette says

If that's the case the three ships referred to in the first voyage are most likely the Brilliant, the Osprey and the Louisa Campbell.

EDIT: But the last two sailed in 1842 according to the dates Althea posted

EDIT 2: Maybe not...

Entered Outwards:
The Osprey (Sedgwick) for New Zealand

The Morning Post (London)
September 08 1841

------

Cleared Outwards with cargo:
The Louisa Campbell (Derby) for New Zealand

The Morning Post (London)
January 6 1842

------

The Dream That Was Cornwallis
The Manukau Settlement and the Voyage of the barque Brilliant
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ourstuff/SettlementofCornwallis.htm

This monument ...commemorates the attempt to found the settlement of Cornwallis, the arrival of the ships Brilliant, Osprey and Louisa Campbell in the Manukau Harbour, and the settlers who, after many setbacks were forced through no fault of their own, to abandon the township of Cornwallis.

I'm just working from google. I have zero knowledge of Auckland history so I may be well off the mark.

For what it's worth, in 1842 a third NZ-bound ship left the Clyde a fortnight after the Duchess of Argyll and the Jane Gifford. It was the "New Zealand" bound for Port Nicholson.

Source:
The Scotsman
Page 3
June 11 1842

Regards
Beg

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hello and thanks Beg.

My Paisley roots are at Auckland, and over 50 years I've read a lot about those early settlers, and it seems I’ve forgotten more than I've remembered. Also the quotable facts that I have remembered, and often tell in my stories, are not as factual as I think.

A point of interest for me, has always been that the Jane Gifford [558 tonnes], the smaller sailing ship of the two, left port after the Duchess of Argyle [667 tonnes] but arrived on the same tide at Auckland. While both were piloted up the harbour on the evening tide, the Duchess did not remain clear of a sand bar, so the Jane Gifford was able to sail by, and drop anchor first. But just now going to my reference books I see that she left on June 18 only 9 days later [June 9th] NOT the three weeks I have in my mind.

Darry McCarthy in THE FIRST FLEETS OF AUCKLAND notes that on that journey from Glasgow [June 9 & 18 to October 9 1842] there were 34 deaths and 16 births, which again gives interest to this oral history. 

Our families first recorded NZ [Auckland] baptism was in the Free Presbyterian Church at the end of 1843, however oral history would suggest that the newly married man was very keen that his wife should be off loaded as quickly as possible, so as to give birth in a cleaner and fresher place, than the overcrowded ship. As the family had practised patronymic naming in Scotland, it is a good possibility, but no records survive to prove, or disprove the oral history.

We may groan today about conditions, but don’t really know how lucky we are.

- Alan.

Offline Kiwigirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 February 14 22:35 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors came out on the Duchess of Argyle in 1842.  I am unable to find anything about their life back in Scotland.  What were the conditions like - were all the passengers on the Duchess of Argyle part of the Paisley Emigration Society?  If so are there records of their names?  I found the passenger list and found their names there - spelt wrong but they are there!

I look forward to any assistance.
Thank you
Angela

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 February 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela and welcome

What were their names please

Cheers Janette

Offline Kiwigirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 February 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Jeanette, their names were Isaac and Janet McEwan and their daughter Margaret who was only about 4 months old when they left.  The passenger list transcription of the Duchess of Argyle shows their names as "McEwing" for their arrival in New Zealand.

I am also trying to find the marriage details for Isaac and Janet - her maiden name was Janet Margaret Bowman.

Thank you.
Angela