Author Topic: John Henning and Sons  (Read 7868 times)

Offline mariona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Henning and Sons
« on: Saturday 31 March 12 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I would appreciate any help in finding info on ggggrandfather John Henning.
From what I know passed down through the family is that he owned a linen mill "John Henning and Sons" at Waringstown.
I found his death in 1874 (thanks to Bowman).
His daughter Elizabeth married Richard Fahy and they are my gggrandparents.
I would love to know the names, etc, of Johns other children (I was told there was an Alex or maybe Alexander), and really any other info thats available on the family. Also who owned the company after John died.
Thank you

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Henning and Sons
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 12 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Mariona

Some questions....
Who was your ggg-grandfather's wife?
Where & when did his daughter Elizabeth marry Richard Fahy?
Where did your John Henning die?

A reasonable amount of information can be unearthed about John Henning of Waringstown (a small place) but would need to find a link to be able to suggest heif he is your ggg-grandfather or not.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline mariona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 12 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi! Thanks for your reply. The family were more concerned about the male side of the family so Johns wife was never mentioned. "Bowman" was nice enough to show me where to find Johns will and it said her name was Margaret. Looking at Proni a John Henning married a Margaret Harrison. If this is my family I am not 100% sure.
What I am pretty sure of is Elizabeth Henning married Richard Fahy 7/8/1853 at Carrickfergus. Elizabeth born c1829 at Carrickfergus and Richard Fahy c1825 at Blackrock Cork. Richard was in the Army and he and his family were sent to Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand.
Thank you
Mariona

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 March 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
What's listed as bride's residence and her father's occupation on the 1853 marriage certificate? Once thing that slightly worries me is the distance between Carrickfergus (north of Belfast) and Waringstown (on the other side of Belfast and south of Lough Neagh) which is probably about 35 miles.

"Waringstown Cricket Club was formed in 1851 by Captain Thomas Waring and the Henning brothers, John and George, presumably from the linen factory of John Henning & Co. in the village."
http://waringstowncc.com/profile/history/

Here's the Will Extract you mentioned- "Letters of Administration of the personal estate of John Henning late of Cambray House County Down Linen Merchant deceased who died 17 May 1874 at same place were granted at Belfast to Margaret Henning of Cambray House (Waringstown) the Widow of said deceased." Unfortunately, this John Henning didn't leave a Will and none of the administrative paperwork survives.

A bit about Cambrai House-
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f29f780b-6621-4113-bda0-f5464509bcc8

An interesting connection to Waringstown-
http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Henning,_John_%281771-1851%29_Modeller_and_Sculptor

Strong ties to waringstown Presbyterian Church so it would probably be worth checking the records for any connections-
http://www.waringstownpresbyterian.com/our-history/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 12 10:52 BST (UK) »
The marriage of your Elizabeth Henning has been extracted as Haning but how do you know she was born in Carrickfergus?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGF9-DYK

Offline mariona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 April 12 01:43 BST (UK) »
All the info I have on the Hennings were written notes amongst an Aunts possessions when she died over 50 years ago.
She worked at the Mitchell Library Sydney and had been tracing the family for many years, plus she was alive to obtain info from living parents grandparents etc. But again, she had concentrated more on the Fahy (man) side than the womans family, I like to do both.
I will have to write for a copy of Richard and Elizabeths marriage certificate and go from there
Thanks again
Mariona

Offline mariona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 April 12 02:36 BST (UK) »
I did forget to mention that a gggrandaughter has a tablecloth that was given to her mother, by a daughter, of Elizabeth and Richard Fahy.
The daughter said at the time she gave it, that the family owned the company that the tablecloth came from.
It is still in perfect condition I've been told
This is another reason I think that I am on the right track and John Henning and Sons are  family.
Just another bit of info that may help
Mariona

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 April 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
You really need the details in the marriage certificate to verify the connection. The Carrickfergus bit still worries me but doesn't rule out a connection with Waringstown.
Let us know when you get the marriage details and we'll probably be able to get more information for you.

I did look for Henning/Fahy marriage in Belfast Newsletter but nothing (many marriages weren't put in paper at that date).

However, found death notice of John Henning and a longer obituary which mentions 'friends' but not relatives.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 April 12 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Richard Fahy did indeed marry Elizabeth HENING as you said. However if her father had a strong connection to the Presbyterian Church it is slightly odd that the marriage took place in St. Nicholas Church of Ireland in Carrickfergus. I can also confirm that Elizabeth's father was John.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim