Author Topic: Mary Ann Baillie  (Read 19438 times)

Offline drewgle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Baillie
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 April 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
Oops! Sorry about the link infringement (rookie error!). There was a Castleblayney district wedding registered in 1882 between a William Bailie and a Catherine Jane Warmington (vol 1 - page 507). Take it you know that Robert McDonaldson and Susan McComb were John and Agnes's witnesses. A David Donaldson married a Margaret Bailie in 1864 (vol 6 - page 451), but that's the closest I've seen to any link to the Bailie's. Any info you have on Hugh's family would be useful. As you say, there are so many Bailie's around at that time, it's hard to sort them all out. Are you with Ancestry, by any chance?
Conant (Sidmouth, Devon); Lines (Northamptonshire); Warwick (Northamptonshire); Pearson (Church Brampton); Law (Weston Favell); Adams (Gayton & Hardingstone); Church/Gilbert/Day/Perkins/MacKness/Pendred (Wymington)

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 April 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
i mainly used emerald ancestors .i only had the name jane as a wife for william senior and  the possibility of eliza jane hamilton for william junior ( i know there are Hamiltons somewhere connected with Bailies  at a later date) however the year of marriage 1882 won't fit . can't work out who william married to catherine warmington is though. i do know that margaret bailie is john's cousin .her father was hugh and charlotte who also had joseph, mary,charlotte and sarah. margaret married david donaldson and had about 6 kids. they also lived in a house in the same row as john and agnes, samuel and sarah. i have a photo of the remains of it.
the warmingtons are on my granda's side.  sarah warmington married john wilson and had david my grandfather and margaret jane who also married a mccomb.   all still in the newtown hamilton/ tullyvallen area.
i will keep looking to see if i can find any samuel bailies in my info

Offline drewgle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 April 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the info. I have found a sister, Sarah Ann, for Samuel 1851! She married a John Collins (son of Jacob) at Clarkesbridge Presbyterian Church on 17 Jan 1877. Their witnesses were a William Lutton and a Margaret Bailie. I suspect this was Margaret (b 1856), daughter of Robert and Mary Bailie, who married John Robinson. Have you got the birth dates for Hugh and Charlotte's 5 children? Would really like to see the photo you have of the house. I can invite you to view my Ancestry tree, but I'd need an e-mail address. If you want to contact me directly (if that's not breaking any codes of practice!), please do so at:

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Conant (Sidmouth, Devon); Lines (Northamptonshire); Warwick (Northamptonshire); Pearson (Church Brampton); Law (Weston Favell); Adams (Gayton & Hardingstone); Church/Gilbert/Day/Perkins/MacKness/Pendred (Wymington)

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 April 12 23:41 BST (UK) »
will try and send photo tomorrow, don't get too excited as they are just ruins !!
more confusion, 2 diff margaret bailies. the 2 witnesses  margaret bailie and william lutton got married 1877 and the margaret bailie with mum mary married john robinson in 1867.
then we have the 3rd margaret bailie ( parents hugh& charlotte) who married david donaldson in 1864, from census seems to have been born about 1841.
have no details on her brother joseph or sister mary but her sister charlotte born about 1851 married francis forster in 1878  and sister sarah born about 1861 married samuel foster in 1876. ages seem a bit spread out , have just been taking them from the census which can be a bit unrealiable at times. i got the names from their mothers will on PRONI wills and marriages from emerald ancestors.

Offline drewgle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 April 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
Do you happen to know who Margaret (married William Lutton - 1877) Bailie's father was? There is a possibility that she might be another sister for Samuel and Sarah Ann.

Moderator's Note: photogragh removed- please see website to view photograph of church-
http://www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/clarkesbridge.html

Offline applemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 April 12 18:37 BST (UK) »
sorry i don't know fathers name . i just had printed off lots of bailie info a few years ago when i first started.the marriage cert could be ordered from emerald ancestors , i no longer subscribe but i think it costs about £12 and would take a week to arrive.  interesting that the Bailie /lutton marriage was in newtownhamilton  2nd pres church , but the bailie/robinson marriage marriage was in clarkesbridge pres.
i was talking to my mum today, she said that there were so many bailies living where her grandparents lived in tullyvallen that it was known locally as bailiestown.
have you come across the name annie bailie married to william lockhart, as she was my granny jeanie's cousin. jeanie was an only child so that's were my bailie family ends.

Offline drewgle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 April 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
I'll take a look at the details for that marriage at rootsireland.ie (I'm not currently subscribed to anyone either, but I can pay-to-view on their site). Perhaps they went to the church which served their particular townlands parish?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 April 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   11 Aug 1893 William Lockhart married Annie Bailie in Clarkesbridge Presbyterian Church, Newtownhamilton.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 August 13 21:29 BST (UK) »
you're right,  i missed that.  i'm becoming a bit addicted to the Bailie family ! 
i have found a connection between  co Louth and scarva though .  on PRONI  wills  there is a john Bailie Treagh co Louth died 1876    and the executor  is a hugh Bailie of scarva co Down  " Sub constable of Police"
this  might tie in with the hugh Bailie on the 1901 census being a RIC pensioner.

This is intriguing. My great-great grandfather William Bailie (1843-1896) was born in County Louth and was an R.I.C. Pensioner. His marriage cert in 1888 says that his father was a John Bailie, farmer. I wonder if this is the same John Bailie? Hugh, 53 in 1901, would have been born circa 1848.