Author Topic: WHITAKER James and HINERARO Peti (who's daughter married a BICKERTON)  (Read 5719 times)

Offline aboutime

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHITAKER James and HINERARO Peti (who's daughter married a BICKERTON)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 January 15 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I've been working on my family tree and I've been able to get documents all the way up to Isabella Whitaker who married Lewis Davies Bickerton.  Her parents were (supposedly) James Whitaker and Peti Hineraro (a.k.a. Betty Whitaker).  And Peti's father was (supposedly) Potatau Te Wherowhero however I have found not a single document supporting the relationship between Peti and her supposed daughter and Te Wherowhero and Peti.

Is anyone able to help me here?
Hello, I can see only one death record for an Isabella Bickerton and that is in 1927 at age 73 putting her year of birth at about 1954. Her marriage appears to have taken place in 1874. I can't find a birth for Isabella or a likely marriage for her father James. I'm not sure where in NZ these people lived. An Intention to Marry look-up might be helpful. It could be that Isabella's birth is recorded in parish records, but it might not have been registered.
Craig.

Offline Phree

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I may have some info that may be helpful, copied from family files.
Peti Wherowhero and others was the Maori wife of James Whittaker.
The issue was:-
William Whittaker      Whittaker
Maggie Whittaker      McGregor
Bella Whittaker         Bickerton
Jennie Whittaker       Coleman
Elinor Whittaker        no record deceased
Elizabeth Whittaker   Ireland

Full name. (Peti Hineraro Potatau Wherowhero) was born early 30's being the daughter of a chief. She was stolen from the tribe by Whittaker who was then a shipwright at Whangaroa. Whittaker was assisted in this business by members of the then established 58th regiment.
Hope this helps a little

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 February 16 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,  Did you ever find the elusive Betty?  I am hunting for her too on behalf of one of her descendants.
He is descended from Isabella Bicketon's oldedst son.  So we seem to be on the same quest to find the Tainui connection! 
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Jess Arapeti

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 January 17 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Following. Potatau Te Wherowhero was my 8 x koro... @Marcus is my Uncle

Offline edesearch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am the 4x great-grandson of Betsy Van Arsdale. Betsy’s first husband was Isaac Van Arsdale, the man who was murdered at James Whitaker’s home in 1862.

Unfortunately, the identities of Betsy’s parents have always been a mystery. Her death certificate states that her father's Surname was Sinclair but a first name is not given and neither are the first and last names of her mother.

family stories have suggested that her mother's name was possibly Peti but I have struggled to confirm this. Anyway, I was looking at Betsy’s second marriage certificate and noticed that the witness’ listed were James and Jane Whitaker. The articles on Papers Past recounting the death of Isaac also point out that Betsy and Isaac,  along with their two children, actually shared a house with James.

I thought I would do a bit of research on the Whitaker’s to see if I could find some clues regarding the identities of Betsy’s parents. When I realised that James’ wife was called Betty/Peti the thought crossed my mind that perhaps Betsy was the daughter of Peti from a prior relationship. Interestingly, Betsy has two sisters, Heni, and Ruiha. Heni is the Maori translation for Jane which also happens to be the name of one of Peti’s daughters. Might it be possible that Jane wasn’t actually James’ biological daughter?

Looking at photos of Betsy and Jane Whitaker I also felt that there were a number of similarities. ( I have included photos below)

I could be completely wrong, of course.

Edesearch

Offline K Norgrove

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 July 19 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Being a descendant of James Whitaker and Irihapeti Potatau (via Isabella Bickerton) and based on another post that said he is buried at Whangaroa in Okura (or Otakura) Cemetery I tried to find the grave site last week but there appears to be no such cemetery - just the one behind the old (1883) Anglican church (which there's no apparent grave site for James).  There is an Okura Bay on the other side of the harbour but no official cemetery there.  Does anyone have further information on the Okura cemetery?

Offline ahau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 July 19 04:12 BST (UK) »
Ask about the cemetery at the Kaeo museum as if it is in the area they will know where it is.

They also have an archives section with alot of genealogy related material so there could be something in there.