Author Topic: 1851 census look up please  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
1851 census look up please
« on: Tuesday 03 April 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
After 8 years of looking to no avail, my relative and I finally found our great great (in his case x4) grandfather George Henry Bowyer born Altrincham.
We could never find a birth for him or find him on the 1861/71 census.  Last week my relative found a John Bowyer (with the w crossed through) marriage cert and his father was named as Robert Garner.
On George Henry Bowyer (John's brother) marriage his father is down as Robert 'Bowyer'.
We have found them on the 1861/71 census under Garner.
Robert married a Mary Hazlehurst in 1860 (both said they were single) and on the 1861/71 she has two sons Joseph and Herbert Hazlehurst.
We couldn't understand where the 'Bowyer/Boyer' came from until today.  I received John Garner/Boyer's birth cert from Trafford and it names his father as Robert Garner and his mother as Fanny Garner formerly BOWYER.  Yippee!
I'm not sure if they were married as I can't find a cert, and am wondering if that is why the boys were Boyer/Bowyer on their marriage certs.

I am now having difficulty finding Robert Garner and Fanny on the 1851 census.  John was born in 1852 Pinfold Brow Altrincham.  Geo Henry was born 1855 so far not found a birth cert for him.

I've even gone through the 1851 Altrincham CD page by page with no luck but am not sure it is all there.  Does anyone know if some of that census is missing?  It would be just our luck if this is so.

Any help would be more than welcome and much appreciated.
Many thanks
Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 16:58 BST (UK) »
This is a list of the missing parts of the 1851 Census http://www.rootschat.com/links/0l2l/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are several George and George Harry Garners born around 1855  in Altrincham on CheshireBMD. Have you checked them out?
Heather

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan
Thank you for that it takes me through to the Archives.  Do you know what I click on there?

Hi Heather, I've tried two of them George and George Harry and was told by the registrar that the father was not Robert Garner.

I just wish I could find Robert and Fanny on the 1851 to see where Fanny comes from.  I've not been able to find Fanny Bowyer/Boyer in 1841 either.  There is one born Barnton but she marries a William so its not her.

This has been one complicated family.  Perhaps in another eight years we might get to the bottom of it LOL.

Thank you for your input anyway.

Kind regards
Su
Bates Hindley Lancs
Cunliffe Hindley
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 12 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
Well I finally found George Henry Bowyer's birth certificate under George Harry Garner 1854.  Again his mother was Fanny Garner formerly Bowyer.

So far so good.

As Robert Garner (her partner) married another woman in 1860 I assumed that Fanny had died somewhere between 1854 and 1860.  So looked for a Death Cert for a Fanny Garner/Bowyer/Boyer.  No luck.

The week before last I had a brainwave (they don't happen very often these days) and looked on my National Burial CD for the burial of a Fanny Bowyer.  I found a 'Nancy' Boyer 6th January 1858 Bowdon. Aha!  I went on FindMyPast and looked at the actual register where it said Abode Altrincham.
I phoned Trafford Registry and asked the lovely Liz to look the last week of 1857 and first week of 1858 for Nancy Boyer, but she couldn't find her. Sigh!
Back to the drawing board.
I then went on Ancestry and typed in 'Nancy' no surname in the burials with the date and half way down the list was Nancy 'Boughey' January 6th 1858 Altrincham. Double Aha!
Back on the phone to the Registry this time the lovely Shirley who found the entry for me.  I said I was hoping the informant was Robert Garner but she said no, but it was a Garner.  I asked was it Elizabeth? (Robert's mother) Yes.  Did Nancy die in Lloyd Street Yes.  Cracked it.
She was 32 when she died of Gastric disease bless her.

Now I still cannot find her or Robert in 1851.  I've looked under all the relevant names.  I have a gut feeling that she lived in the same area of Altrincham as Robert in 1841.  I don't think they married as I can't find a marriage and both her boys reverted to Bowyer from Garner when they married which indicates to me that they were illegitimate.
I'm going through all the 15 year old girls in Altrincham and checking their marriages to see if one married a Bowyer/Boyer/Boughey, apart from that I'm stuck.

Has anyone any thoughts on what else I can do.

Many thanks
Kind regards
Su
Bates Hindley Lancs
Cunliffe Hindley
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan
Thank you for that it takes me through to the Archives.  Do you know what I click on there?

Su

The catalogue has changed try http://www.rootschat.com/links/0o5k/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 June 12 14:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan.
I still can't see the actual missing pages though so don't know if they were on them or not.  I think I am going to have to accept that they weren't listed on the 1851 for some reason.

Kind regards
Su  ;)
Bates Hindley Lancs
Cunliffe Hindley
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs