Author Topic: CAMPBELLS IN KILLIN PARISH?  (Read 12171 times)

Offline lnroberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CAMPBELLS IN KILLIN PARISH?
« on: Tuesday 10 April 12 04:57 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this - so bear with me - but I'm a USA researcher in California attempting to find out something about my 3rd great grandfather Duncan Campbell (b. 1768- d. 1850) who came to the States in about 1795 with his wife Christian (or Christiana) and very young daughter Catharine and perhaps one son.  I have been very unsuccessful in discovering his Scottish origins - not even in his naturalization papers in 1839 in Ohio.  Haven't been able to locate any passenger lists.  Too early.  I have been corresponding with the National Archives - sent them all of my research and they have told me that they have no records that will help.  I have spent hours - and pounds - plowing through the OPRs on scotlandspeople.gov - nothing looks specifically right, but I'm starting to think that Killin Parish looks like a likely place to inquire because of a similarity of names - nothing else.  I'm assuming that he came over because of the clearances.  Duncan was a farmer - did nothing else the whole time he was here - except to be the first Constable of Licking County, Ohio in 1814 when they were opening up that state.  If anyone can give me any suggestions as to places or sites for research, I'd really appreciate it.  Also - if anyone knows anything about the Campbells during that time period, that would also be helpful.  Thanks so much.
Lynne

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPBELLS IN KILLIN PARISH?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

You could try posting on this site also

http://www.killin.co.uk/gossip/forumdisplay.php/5-Family-History

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline lnroberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
Well, as you see, I have.  Do you have any other suggestions?  I've exchanged emails with a variety of experts in Scotland, including the venerable David Dobson (he sent me to Black's book on Scottish surnames which has proven very helpful).  However, because of the time period and the corresponding dearth of records, no one I've sought help from has been very optimistic.

Lynne

Offline Miss Kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

Many of my Campbell ancestors were christened in Killin. My direct line immigrated to Canada West - at Drummond Twp., Lanark County, Canada c. 1817. There were others which stayed behind; one went to NY State a few years earlier.

Killin saw major clearances c. 1834 when many were literally burned off their lands by the 2nd Marquis of Breadalbane, John Campbell. Refer to: http://my.tbaytel.net/bmartin/perth.htm

Other than a familiarity of names, have you found any record, since you posted your msg., which indicates Killin? Have you discovered Christian's maiden name?

Are there any county/state historical books re. Licking County, Ohio which may mention where Duncan Campbell was from (besides the generic "Highlands of Scotland" line)? Obituaries of his children which may mention a place name from where their parents came from? 

I'll be glad to share with you what I have. The names of Duncan and Christian (female) were used many times over in my lineage.

Regards,
Kate

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
I have a number of Campbell and McDonald ancestors in the parish of Killin.  I will take a look.  In the meantime you might be interested in this string.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,567540.0.html
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 12 05:33 BST (UK) »
Inroberts-
It seems to me that you need to explore resources in Ohio to establish the origins of your Campbells.  I have done this with my Sprague and McDonald ancestors who were among the first settlers in what we know as the Firelands of Ohio.  Here are some resources I have found useful:

History of the Fire Lands, Comprising Huron & Erie Counties, Ohio 1809 - 1879 by W. W. Williams.
Firelands Pioneer [compilations of narratives regarding the earliest settlers of Ohio]
Sprague Project Database [a website that provides research notes and sources for the genealogy I have recorded]

Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 June 12 06:09 BST (UK) »
You will find an obiturary index at:
http://index.rbhayes.org/hayes/index/

You will have to pay a nominal fee for the results of your search, but if you have correctly identified your ancestor, the results can be priceless!

Offline lnroberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 June 12 07:09 BST (UK) »
My Campbell left in 1795 - in the National Archives in Edinburgh I found letters to the Earl of Breadalbane from Peter Campbell (Duncan's son) about his son Duncan and his anger that the Earl was not providing son Duncan with the croft that had been promised him for serving in the Earl's militia.  The time frame was right - and although I would never suggest that this is my family, I suspect that this is the kind of thing that pushed him to load up his wife and child (children?) and head for the States in 1795. I have checked every single records regarding him that I can find - including naturalization papers - and I have never found any suggestion of where in Scotland he came from.  However, I got lots of help from very knowledgeable researchers in Edinburgh and they agree with me that the similarity of family names and the time period seems to lend itself to Killin, Perthshire.  And we did find Kiders in Angus - don't know anything about them, but contrary to everything I had heard previous - there WERE Kiders in Scotland in the 18th century!!  Researching in the National Archives was such a treat - hope to have the pleasure again - but I'm not going back unless I learn more about this family.  I stayed in the Kenmore Hotel (est 1572!!) very close to Killin and it was a real pleasure to see the beautiful country that my ancestors called home.  I can see why they settled where they did - same woods, rolling hills and green green terrain - in Ohio.

Lynne

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 June 12 23:36 BST (UK) »
This is one record you may want to check out.  Comrie is about 15 miles from Killen. 

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X1NX-18Z
Name: Cathrine Campbell
Baptism/Christening Date: 07 Sep 1794
Baptism/Christening Place: COMRIE,PERTH,SCOTLAND
Father's Name: Duncan Campbell 
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11341-4
System Origin: Scotland-ODM
Source Film Number: 1040075
Reference Number:
Collection: Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950