Author Topic: Mills Genealogy from Derbyshire  (Read 4353 times)

Offline rowvl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mills Genealogy from Derbyshire
« on: Tuesday 10 April 12 06:56 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information of foreparents of Gilbert Mills and Margaret Ashmore married in Derbyshire Parish on 4 Oct. 1635. He was from Duffield and her from Belper (Belpher). Can anyone help?

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Mills Genealogy from Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This marriage took place 4th October 1635 in Duffield Parish Church.

The Phillimore Transcript states:-

Gilbert Mills of Pentrige [Pentrich] & Margaret Ashmore of Belper.

You must remember, these may not be the places they were actually born, just where they were
resident at the time of their marriage.

There are quite a number of Ashmore marriages in Duffield

I have taken this information from a Disc, however you can see the entry for yourself on :-

www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/Registers/index.html
Scroll down page, select Duffield   when next page opens  you cannot actually search for a name but you can
select each page.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline rowvl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spendlove...I did make the mistake on the Duffield and Pentrich...I was trying to remember without getting out my book. I was blessed enough to run across the Phillimore Parish Records about a year ago at Uk Genealogy.com.  I was so excited when I came across this marriage in there.

I haven't been able to connect the family going up the tree from there. I believe that his parents were William Mills and Rachel Gilbert. They have been linked to the family Myll in, "The Visitation of Gloucestershire 1623," but we have no proof that that William is his father and no records on Rachel Gilbert have been found yet. The William I speak of was the son of Edward Myll (Mill) and Mary Mauny. He had a twin brother Anthony who died at birth. So, I guess I am really looking for their marriage records and where they lived? Supposedly, they lost all their land in Gloucestershire and had moved to Derbyshire, but I don't know.....

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is it Gilbert Mills, who died aged 61 26th August 1757 in Augusta born abt 1696, you are looking for?   

According to many submitted trees he married a Margaret Ashmore and his Parents were William Mills born abt 1650
and Rachel Gilbert born abt 1648.

If you are then do not think that the marriage of 1635  has any relevance.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline rowvl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
Most of the trees here in the U.S. Have Gilbert Mills who died 1 Nov. 1757 as the husband of Margaret Ashmore and the son of William Mills and Rachel Gilbert...When I found the  marriage date for Gilbert/Margaret in the Phillimore Parish Records I knew that that research was not right..There are a couple of trees online that said that there were one or two more Gilbert Mill's in between William/Rachel and the Gilbert Mills in Augusta County, Va. who died in 1757. This is the way I believe it goes since I discovered marriage records for all of them online..However, I do not know if they are connected to the Myll Family from Gloucestershire:

William Mills - Rachel Gilbert         1608  Westminster St. George Hanover Square, London, England (IGI)            
Gilbert Mills - Margaret Ashmore  4 Oct. 1635       Duffield, Derbyshire, England (Phillimore Parish Registers)
Gilbert Mills - Susanna Bowyer         20 Feb. 1664    St. Nicholas Cole Abbey, London, London, England (IGI)
Gilbert Mills - Agnes Alexander     10 Oct. 1688     Rappahannock County, Virginia, USA  (Familysearch.org) This would be the Gilbert who died in 1757 in Augusta County, Virginia.

This Myll (Mills) family we think they came from Harescombe, Gloucestershire, England..They lost their land there and I read that some of the family was then in Derbyshire...In Harescombe they were in the St. Nicholas Church Parish...Gilbert Mills who married Susanna Bowyer was a shipwright in Deptford, Kent...I know that there was a William Mills also in Kent...This is as far back as I can go and believe that the records prove it out...

Offline rowvl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Spendlove are you still out there?
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
I do believe that the marriage of Gilbert Mills and Margaret Ashmore in 1635 still has relevance to our tree. Like I said in the last post that is how I see it basically, right now...but you added a new element to the puzzle that I haven't known...You said that Gilbert was 61 years old when he died...That would make him born in the USA and Gilbert our immigrant parents son maybe?  That would be 4 Gilberts in a row...We never have known the name for sure of the Gilbert who died in 1757, his wife's name...more puzzles....

Offline rowvl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 12 19:07 BST (UK) »
I am now wondering if the Gilbert Mills who married Susanna Bowyer and was the shipwright in Deptford, Kent did not die in 1686, but actually, immigrated to America at that time and married Agnes Alexander in 1688 and had more children and that the Gilbert Mills who died in 1757 in Augusta was their son Gilbert..Sure wish I could find some records....

Offline Sallyannwake

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 24 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello, my name is SallyAnn and I am a descendant of Charlotte Mills of Miserden. Although the author of the Mills of Miserden suggests it is difficult to uncover the origins of the Mills, they do descend from Harescombe according to the testimony of Musard, and they left Harescombe to live at Sudgrove, in the house of their grandfather.