Author Topic: Presbytarian church in Slievenagh?  (Read 4921 times)

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Presbytarian church in Slievenagh?
« on: Thursday 12 April 12 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Would there have been a Presbytarian church or churchyard or cemetary in Slievenagh/Slavenagh in the 1800's to early 1900's please?

I am looking for burials (and even baptisms/marriages) of the Courtney family who I know lived there in 1901 and 1911 (also in Garvaghy and Mullinsallagh.

Many thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Presbytarian church in Slievenagh?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 12 16:01 BST (UK) »
Slievenagh is the townland name but they might have gone to church in Portglenone or Ahoghill. If they are the Presbyterian ones in the 1911 census then the Parish (Church of Irelad) Church is also a possibility for burials.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 12 11:56 BST (UK) »

Hi

Many thanks, I think you could be right as one of them married in a CofI church, I get a bit confused with the religions.  But I think Portglenone is likely as is Ahoghill.  I have tried writing to the churches in the past but they haven't replied sadly.

Yes, they are the ones in the 1911 census.  Can you think of any other way I can track them down, I cannot find births etc., for most of them.

I have the 1901 and 1911 for James and Jane in Slievenagh, except Sarah E in 1911, she may have married by then.

I have a Robert and Sarah in 1901 but not in 1911.

And I have John (widower) and his children in 1901 but can't determine any of them in 1911, John might be deceased.  It doesn't look like any of them married, unless they married quite late.  I looked on E. I. to see if they emigrated but can't see them.

I couldn't find a marriage for James and Jane either c. 1880 on F.S. and I would have thought they would have been there.  Although admitedly I do not know Jane's surname, there are some children which might fit the bill but without knowing Jane's surname couldn't determine.

Would there have been directories for the time they were there which might track them a bit do you know?

Any help would be interesting.

Many thanks
Kind regards

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 12 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    This may help. 14 Feb 1879 James Courtney married Jane Abernethy in Ahoghill Second Presbyterian Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 12 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't believe it, thank you so much.  I have just spent ages looking to see if I can tie up the ref. with a James Courtney I found marrying in 1Q 1879 in Ballymena 1/120 and found two possibilities

a Jane Abernethy and a Jane Herbison. 

Well done and thank you again.  It doesn't give the father's names by any chance or anything else does it please as I couldn't get an actual date or anything other than the above.

I have found a possibly match for Robert Courtney (Robert John Courtney) 3Q 1898 in Ballymena
to a Sarah Morrow, they both have the same reference number.  Would you be able to confirm them and find anything more at all please?

Sadly the other John is a widower and I haven't a clue who his wife was, their children don't seem to come up either, I was hoping the same mother's name would pop up alongside each of them but they don't seem to be on Pilot.

Many thanks again, that was a great piece of news.

Kind regards ;D

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 April 12 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Fathers' names were Thomas Courtney and John Abernethy.
Your marriage appears to be 13 Jul 1898 Robert Courtney married Sarah Morrow in Portglenone Third Presbyterian Church. In this case the fathers' names were Robert Courtney and John Morrow.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 April 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
HI

Many thanks again for that info.

I was so hoping it was going to be John Courtney as the father.

According to the Ulster Covenant Francis' wife put down the name of James Courtney in Portglenone as the address so I had hoped he was a brother to Francis. 
This James must be related but I've yet to find out how.

I haven't found a marriage of a Sarah (Sarrah) E Courtney, father James, would it be a cheek to ask if you can find anything on her please?  She was with her family in 1901 age 13 but not with them in 1911, so she could have married by then.  I haven't found her elsewhere.  Unless she is the one with Jane in 1912 but I haven't found Sarah in 1911 at all.

Two of James and Jane's children died before 1911, as James and Sarah were alive in 1901 I am guessing it was another two.

I don't know where you are finding your information but is it possible to find a marriage for a John Courtney to a Mary Ann Wilson c. 1840's (possibly 1830's) or a William Alexander to a Jane Morrison 1840/50's please.  Or a marriage of a Francis Courtney before Dec. 1882 with a father John?

I hope you don't mind my asking.

Kind regards and thank you again.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 April 12 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   11 Jul 1910 William Crawford married Sarah E. Courtney in Ballymena 2nd Presbyterian Church. Fathers were James Courtney and Alexander Crawford.

29 Dec 1882 Francis Courtney, father John, married Jane Alexander in St. Annes Church of Ireland, Belfast. I assume that you have this.
28 March 1864 Francis Courtney, father John, married Mary Murdy in St. Annes Church of Ireland, Belfast.
There is another Francis Courtney marriage in 1874 to a Margaret Cooke in Armagh but I am unable to determine the father for this one.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cranstone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Brilliant, thank you, that's looks like her I will see if I can now find her in 1911.

I have the others, yes thank you, as none of the info. on the certificates give the same address or the same occupation it's hard to tell if they are the same people.
If he married in 1864 and 1882 I'm presuming his first wife died, if he had children by her he certainly didn't have them with him later.  Oh for the lost/destroyed census'! :(
I see you have the Morrison surname in your tree too.
Do you know about Presbyterian churches, I've come across 1st, 2nd and 3rd, are they all different churches and why are they different numbers?
Thank you for all your help.
Kind regards