Author Topic: Philadelphia Freeland  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Philadelphia Freeland
« on: Friday 13 April 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
Looking for any details relating to a Philadelphia Freeland C1781 of Whatlington. She married Joshua Hiscock in Whatlington in 1806. I think possibly she could be the daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Newington who were married in Salehurst in 1781. I have found 4 definite children for them, the first being born in 1784 which would leave a suitable gap for Philadelphia to fit in. Alternatively they had a daughter Polly baptised in 1786 which I'm wondering could have been an abreviated name but think this would have been doubtful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Philadelphia Freeland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 12 19:31 BST (UK) »
Wondered as the birth was so close to the marriage there was something under Philly Newington, but drew a blank there too.  The alternative does seem to be that Polly (1786 seems to be a rather early use of that name) could be Philly?  Perhaps you ought to gain site of the original record to see if there could have been a mistranscription.  I looked to see if there was any mention of a Polly Freeland later on, and found no mention of her on the Sussex Marriage Index which goes up to 1837.      Roy G

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 April 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy, I think I'm more inclined to go with the transcription error, Philly to Polly as I have never seen this as an abreviation for Philadelphia. Have also have found no mention of a Polly after the baptism. Have been unable to track down the original image for either of the baptisms so no luck there as yet.

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 April 12 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan
Just had to post this, you probably already have it.
Fanny Philadelphia Freeland
bapt Jan 1842 Hastings, father William, mother Mary.

Good luck with your search.

Tinam
Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tina, unfortunately William's father was a Henry Freeland, which was a very common name in the area at the time so have been unable to link them.

Have found one other possibility, there was a Philia or Philly Woodfield Freeland christened 1786 in Ebony, Kent, daughter of Sarah Freeland. I believe Ebony is a small place near to Stone so not a huge distance away from Whatlington and it was not uncommon to send unmarried mothers away to give birth. Still seems to be too larger gap between birth and baptism but will see whether I can track down Sarah to see whether there is a connection to Whatlington.