Author Topic: Matthew Smellie of Medrox  (Read 17572 times)

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Smellie of Medrox
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 January 13 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary
This might be a case of the blind leading the blind but Monica will keep us right.  I'm fairly new to Rootschat myself which probably accounts for the hiccup the other day.  A PM is a Private Message.  If you hover over the "circles, icons?" in the left hand column you should be able to contact me off-line.  I think we have a lot of information to share.  You have to have made 3 posts to do this but I think you have done made 3 posts already.  I'l  try to contact you this way, but again I tried to contact someone this way earlier today and I'm not convinced the message has got through.  I do think that one way or another we should keep in touch regarding the Smellies.
Alys
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 January 13 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Robert Black (a weaver in Airdrie) was the husband of Jean Smellie b. 1754.   Jean was the daughter of ........John Smellie b. 1735  ... Medrox, New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland ... was married to Elizabeth Shanks b. 1736.

Something not quite right here. John Smellie and Elizabeth Shanks were married in 1762 and their daughter Jean was born in 1764.

As you know, Alys, I have been wondering if Jean's husband Robert Black could be the son of Gavin Black and Janet Waddell, born at Rawyards in 1766? Note that Robert and Jean named their first daughter Janet and their second son Gavin.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gary Bragg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 January 13 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I have a Margaret Smellie b.  May 13, 1771 (parents) John Smellie & Elizabeth Shanks married 1762, New Monklands, Lanark, Scotland ....Margaret  was married to  John Black b. Aug. 1, 1769 ...they were (married) July 1795 in New Monklands, Lanark, Scotland ...children Thomas 1796, Mary 1798, Margaret 1800, Margaret 1801 , John 1803, Helen 1805, Jean 1807, Thomas 1809, Christian 1810, Janet 1812, Berthea 1815, Adam 1817....end....    QUESTION  Is this John  Black  married to Margaret Smellie related to  Robert Black married to Jean Smellie?

Also something ofi observational interest I have found since researching my line of Smellie form Gartshore & Medrox, New Monkland , Lanark, Scotland to Quebec, Canada - These families may have immigrated from Scotland to Canada at the same time ---  the Smellie, Black, Ross, Mack, and Waddells and Wardens & possibly other families . For  examples - Jane  Millar Smellie married  Peter Black , 2nd husband James Ross:  John Smellie married Margaret Mack, John Smellie married Margaret McLean, Maragret Martin Smellie married  James Warden. ( all lived in Godmanchester, or in close proximity) to Huntingdon, Quebec - Canada.

Gary

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 January 13 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I have a Margaret Smellie b.  May 13, 1771 (parents) John Smellie & Elizabeth Shanks married 1762, New Monklands, Lanark, Scotland ....Margaret  was married to  John Black b. Aug. 1, 1769 ...they were (married) July 1795 in New Monklands, Lanark, Scotland ...children Thomas 1796, Mary 1798, Margaret 1800, Margaret 1801 , John 1803, Helen 1805, Jean 1807, Thomas 1809, Christian 1810, Janet 1812, Berthea 1815, Adam 1817....end....    QUESTION  Is this John  Black  married to Margaret Smellie related to  Robert Black married to Jean Smellie?

I don't know. But their eldest son was Thomas and their second daughter was Margaret; and they didn't have a son Gavin and their daughter Janet was their 6th daughter; and Gavin Black and Janet Waddell didn't have a son John, or at least not a recorded one. So IF Robert was the son of Gavin B and Janet W, he is almost certainly not John's brother.

> Also something ofi observational interest I have found since researching my line of Smellie form > Gartshore & Medrox, New Monkland , Lanark, Scotland to Quebec, Canada - These families may > have immigrated from Scotland to Canada at the same time ---  the Smellie, Black, Ross, Mack, > and Waddells and Wardens & possibly other families . [/quote]

Yes, I've noticed that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 January 13 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I agree that Jean Smellie was born in 1764.  I think Gary has different information.  I have Robert Black born 1768.  I believe Robert born 1766 must have died.
Robert Black married Jean Smellie in Aug. 1790.  I have their children as follows:

1.  Elisabeth, born 1791 in Hallcraig (O.P.R. Births 651/0020 0281)
2.  Janet, born 1794 in Hallcraig
3.  Gavin, born 1797 in Airdrie
4.  Mary, born 1799 in Airdrie
5.  John, born 1803 in Hallcraig
6.  William, born 1806 in Hallcraig
7.  Helen/Ellen, born c. 1813 in Lanarkshire, possibly Hallcraig as she is living there with her father Robert in 1841.

It appears you do not have the first daughter Elisabeth, and I do not have a son before Gavin to upset the naming pattern.  Could you provide details of the first son you have for me to consider?
Alys
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 January 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I agree that Jean Smellie was born in 1764.  I think Gary has different information.  I have Robert Black born 1768.  I believe Robert born 1766 must have died.
Robert Black married Jean Smellie in Aug. 1790.  I have their children as follows:

1.  Elisabeth, born 1791 in Hallcraig (O.P.R. Births 651/0020 0281)
2.  Janet, born 1794 in Hallcraig
3.  Gavin, born 1797 in Airdrie
4.  Mary, born 1799 in Airdrie
5.  John, born 1803 in Hallcraig
6.  William, born 1806 in Hallcraig
7.  Helen/Ellen, born c. 1813 in Lanarkshire, possibly Hallcraig as she is living there with her father Robert in 1841.

It appears you do not have the first daughter Elisabeth, and I do not have a son before Gavin to upset the naming pattern.  Could you provide details of the first son you have for me to consider?

I have them exactly as you have. First son Gavin, second daughter Janet could indicate that Robert's parents are Gavin and Janet, especially given that first daughter Elizabeth, second son John fits with John Smellie's parents John S and Elizabeth Shanks.

And yes, Robert Black b 1766 had a younger brother Robert b 1768.

And are you sure that Ellen in the 1841 census is Robert's daughter rather than the wife of his son William?

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 January 13 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I based the information about Helen on a death record for Helen Hastie in 1869, aged 56 years.  Her parents are given as Robert Black and Jean Smillie.  I don't have a wife for William but I can see that he might have married an Ellen.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 January 13 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Ah, that does look convincing.

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Gary you say that Matthew Smellie was born in 1694.  What proof do you have that that is the case?  I have a birth record for 1681.  He was still alive in November 1692 when His father Robert disponed land at North Medrox to Matthew and his brother Adam, with the consent of their brothers David and John.  Matthew was Heir of Conquest in 1730 to his brother Adam.  These records make me doubt that there was a second son called Matthew born in 1694, so if proof exists, I'd be happy to see it.