Author Topic: Replacing/moving a broken grave  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Llama

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Replacing/moving a broken grave
« on: Sunday 15 April 12 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I recently found the grave of my GGG Grandfather. It was lying in 5-6 pieces on the floor but pieced together so that all the inscription could be read. The rangers in the local authority cemetery said it would have to be removed eventually but that I could place a block there free of charge (other than purchasing the block)

The cemetery is a large one that is still maintained by the council but not in use - and has suffered vandalism with a lot of graves knocked over and smashed by youths in recent years - and I think this is what has happened to my ancestor's grave as it was sandstone and very weather-worn already. There are two other family members buried in the grave, the last one in 1933. I want to replace the headstone one day but the deeds to the grave do not exist anymore (I know of all ancestors, none have them) - my grandad who is the great grandson of the deceased in question will be the closest ancestor alive to all three people buried in it. I'm afraid if I just place a block there it will be kicked around by kids/dog walkers as it is in an area where many people walk past - yet if I place nothing there the location will be lost for ancestors to visit in the future. Any ideas as to what my options could be? Thanks in advance for any advice. LLama x

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing/moving a broken grave
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 12 22:37 BST (UK) »
I helped briefly on a churchyard tidy/maintenance project so can understand the issues. At least this grave has someone who cares about it - with so many graves there just isn't anyone left.

What you are allowed to do will depend on the regulations of that particular cemetery; but what about a horizontal slab of some sort? Worth consulting a local stonemason's firm.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan