Author Topic: John Davies Wakerley Parish records  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Moondog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Davies Wakerley Parish records
« on: Monday 16 April 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
Good evening everyone.

I'm really pleased to have found your online community here - so much expertise and generosity.

I wonder if anyone can help me fill in a blank? I have been bulding my family tree on and off for the last two years, following the Davies line back as far as I can. I now know, via census and BDM records, that my family originate from Northhamptonshire. My great, great, great grandfather was John Davies, born in Wakerley in approx 1787,dying in October 1867. (1841 census says 'born about 1791 in foreign parts', but 1851 and 1861 both confirm Wakerley, with birth dates of 'about 1789' and 'about 1787' respectively.) His wife was Sarah Davies and one of his sons was John T Davies, my great, great, grandfather.

We would love to trace the family back further and if possible find out a little more about their lives; I live near Portmouth, and although a visit is planned, have two young children, so have been putting this off for a while. Anyone who would like access to my Davies tree online is very welcome.

Thank you,

Paul Davies

Offline Moondog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Davies Wakerley Parish records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
As a newbie to this site I have also posted this message over on the Nottinghamshire board - apologies, as I now realise Wakerley is in Northamptonshire. Paul ;)

Offline southistle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 17:48 BST (UK) »
From the Baptism, Marriage and Burial Index CDs

Thomas and Hannah DAVIS baptised two children in Wakerley

Sarah 25th June 1786
John 18th Jan 1789

Thomas DAVIS and Hannah MILLS both of Wakerley married there 10th August 1783

Hannah wife of Thomas DAVIS was buried in Wakerley 9th April 1792

Offline Moondog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 19:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Southistle,

Thank you so much for this - I knew nothing of my family beyond John Davies and your information has unlocked a whole new chapter. Poor Hannah - she died leaving two young children, presumably in the care of Thomas and immediate family.

Two questions, if possible: do you think the spelling of 'Davis' instead of 'Davies' on all the records
you mention suggests my family name was spelt without the 'e' until sometime before John (and all future relations) is listed as a Davies on the 1841 census? I know spellings are often not standardised, but you mention several separate records, all spelt as Davis. I would also love to try and trace the Davies / Davis line back even further if I can; is there anywhere online you would reccomend, or should I try and plan a visit to the records centre sometime this Summer? (I'm a teacher, so it always ends up being school holiday times!)
Thanks again,
Paul Davies

Offline southistle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
All you can infer from the spelling is that it was the preferred spelling for that minister.
It was not likely that Thomas was asked what was the corret spelling.

When you are able to look at the original record you will be able to see whether Thomas signed his name or made an X for his mark.

Offline Moondog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
That's useful advice, Southistle.

I have just revisited the original census records for the Davies/Davis line and notice 1841 and 1871 spell 'Davies' and 1851 and 1861 spell 'Davis' (it has been a long time since I last viewed them). All children and spouses names / ages add up, so I guess I should put it down to a mixture of having a common name that can be spelt two ways and, as you suggest, low literacy rates for many at that time.
Thanks again.
Paul.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul.

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

Alan Clarke/ Marilyn Ponting (both Rootschatters) whose indexes
we quote from here have numerous cd roms to purchase and
Alan himself will do free look ups from some for you which would
save you having to travel to the N.R.O. if he can assist.

His link is below my posting.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline Moondog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandy - that is really helpful information.

I will start by taking a look at both websites and then contact Alan. Having taken the Davies / Davis line back to 1789, I'm itching to find out if the family had been in Wakerley for some generations before that (which would be brilliant!) or if my search is going to move further afield.

All this is wonderful stuff - up until a few months ago all my family believed we were a London family through and through; it was only after I accessed the 1901 census that I dioscovered George Herbert (John's grandson) had moved from Northamptonshire to join the City of London police!

Thanks again, Paul Davies.

Offline Col Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 January 22 20:17 GMT (UK) »
As a newbie to this site I have also posted this message over on the Nottinghamshire board - apologies, as I now realise Wakerley is in Northamptonshire. Paul ;)