Author Topic: World War 1 info  (Read 1542 times)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
World War 1 info
« on: Thursday 19 April 12 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all not sure if i should of posted this here or on the Armed forces scetion?
Im just wondering if theres a site (pay or otherwise)where i could possibly find out if my Grt Grandfather actually saw active service for Canada in World War 1 and if so which Battalion he was attached to and what Battalions he may of fought along side?
I have the following info he signed in Toronto 1916 and joined the 234th cef Battalion which sailed to England and were based at Tidworth Barracks Salisbury where they were disbanded and became the 12th Battalion training regiment id really love to find out if my Great Gramp did get attached to another regiment after being in the 12th Battalion if he didnt and just stayed in England id love to know that as well!!
Any help info or links anyone might be able to help me with would be really appreciated
Many Thanks
  Duncan

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: World War 1 info
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
Duncan,you should be able to get a copy of his army records.  I did for an uncle of mine but it was years ago and I can't remember where I applied for this.

Somone of the Canada board will be able to advise you.

charlotte

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
The military files will give you his attestation papers, medical information, next of kin, his movement between battalions and dates. If he was injured that will be in the file as well and what hospitals, etc. Using the military file and the war diaries that are available on line at Library and Archives Canada, you would be able to determine which battles he was in by the dates on his military file.

I have ordered 3 files at a cost of $66 including postage. They are very thorough and worth every cent. Most files have about 25 pages but one of the files had about 50. You pay for each page so the cost varies.

The site at collections canada is very user friendly.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 April 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
the site that was provided at collections canada will take you to the attestation papers. You need the information from the attestation papers to order his file. Once you find the correct file, go to How to Consult a file on site or order a copy of the complete file.

If you need any help, just post it on this thread.

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your replies i managed to find my Grt Gramps attestation papers on the Canada collections site so now i better get saving to find out more! just a thought not sure if anyone agrees but a bit cheeky i think seeing as how our relatives gave their lives or put their lives on the line fighting for their Country yet 100 years later their relatives have to pay to find out where they fought! seems wrong but thee you go just my thought thank again
Dunc

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 April 12 17:37 BST (UK) »
I think I'd rather give thanks that all the records for the men who served from Canada actually have survived, unlike in the UK where 60% of them went up in smoke in the Blitz.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 April 12 17:48 BST (UK) »
Agreed, we are most lucky to have them ...ww2 veterans can order their own files for free
My Mum ordered hers but when I asked to see them, she couldn't find them  ::) heehee...

Archives need some working money, and it is not a large amount...only expensive if the file is huge...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 April 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi dunc,

I agree with jds about the records. I have ordered about half dozen of the service files so far for my ancestors from different family lines and have averaged less than $10 each. As said earlier they are a wealth of info - right down to their dentals...lol. One of mine was in the 235th/12th as well if I recall correctly. As also mentioned there is a site that shows where the units were during the war, also very enlightening - ie. found out all of mine were within a couple of miles of one another in the trenches in France about the same time when all the heavy fighting was going on. Luckily, I have only a couple of ancestors that lost their lives in France during the war - the Commonwealth Graves site was also very informative regarding these 2.

I am looking forward when this kind of info will be accessible for those that fought for us in WW2.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England