Author Topic: Signature comparison please  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Signature comparison please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:01 BST (UK) »
I'm getting a bit confused here ... (nothing new  ;)) I've re-read the original question ...

LL, are you saying that you have another certificate of the Twist/Baker marriage different from the one you posted here?  :-\

Online Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:04 BST (UK) »
Arthur, I have several marriage certificates that are not copies of the original (i.e. do not contain original signatures) that do state "Certified to be a true copy of an entry in a register in my custody". These were not purchased from the GRO however.

Alexander

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I know it is confusing !  It is confusing to me and I have all the documents etc. in front of me !

I am going to send a photo of the two certificates  I have for William Twist.
The top one is one that the Aston sisters had in their possession (I will send
thr  'tale' again !) and looks to be from the church register (which was St Judes church in Brmingham by the way).

The  second green certificate is the one I received today from B.ham Register office when I had asked them to be sure and  only send a copy if it was a copy of the original entry with the original signature of William Twist.

Neither signature though is anything like the William Aston signature.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
If it helps, and if I've got the right churches, then both parish registers are available to view.

10th June 1861 William TWIST = Mary Ann BAKER, St Jude's Birmingham, LDS Film #918917

13th September 1868 William ASTON = Ann Dora BEARDs, St Phillips, Birmingham, LDS Film # 814854

If you can wait I can view and photo these in the next few days.

Arthur, I have several marriage certificates that are not copies of the original (i.e. do not contain original signatures) that do state "Certified to be a true copy of an entry in a register in my custody". These were not purchased from the GRO however.

Alexander

Yes, I have to agree with this.  Sometimes the originals are so hard to read or reproduce that they have to be re-written or even typed.

KR
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:28 BST (UK) »
I agee with you LL. Those certificates are nearly identical but the signatures are completely different from the William Aston one ... :-\

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
So who does William Aston give as his father, and what occupation?  I can see that both Williams give (wood) carver as occupation.

Added:  Ok, I can see it, William ASTON, gun maker:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,591404.msg4429064.html#msg4429064
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
Why I was led to believe William Twist and William Aston are the same people  :  Some years ago, my sister met up with two elderly Aston sisters (the were g.daughters of WA).  They told her that it was well known in the Aston family that WA had changed his name from William Twist when he married Ann Dora Beard in 1868.   She had said she would not marry him unless he did.   She said "Your family might be horse dealers but they are a lot of horse stealers, with one of them transported to Australia for stealing".   These sisters had copies of the marriage certificates for William Twist marrying Mary Ann Baker in 1861 and WA marrying Ann Dora in 1868.   (They also had the marriage certificate of Mary Ann Crewley marrying Joseph Baker in 1854. )

When my sister was still interested in FH she paid someone to do research into the Twist line.   Certainly they said found a Twist connection and many of the men were horse dealers.  But I have never been 100% convinced because certain aspects did not tie up, - like the discrepancy with the signatures for one  -  and so I have started looking into it again.

The thought had been that William took the maiden name of his mother - Aston.

But until I can see clear proof of the connection I do not know William Aston's family to research.

ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:56 BST (UK) »

Alexander

Sometimes local register offices provide a photocopy of the original, sometimes they don't. I don't know the reasons for this, but I suspect they include whether the office has a suitable copier and whether the original is clear enough to be copied. If getting a copy of the signature is important to you it's always worth asking if they can provide it, and on one occasion I was sent a non-photocopied certificate where they weren't sure if they'd got one of the names right, so they sent a small copy of just that bit.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 April 12 16:05 BST (UK) »
Great story LL. I'm not sure I believe the horse stealing bit - it would be a miracle if a quote from someone in the 1860's was passed down the generations without embellishments.  ;)

Have you looked for births for a William Twist and a William Aston?

So the father's names are the same on all three certificates? But occcupation is wood carver and gunmaker - both highly skilled and completely different (unless the gun maker carved the handle?  :-\).

What ages are William Twist and William Aston when they marry? Do their birth years tally?