Author Topic: 163 Vittoria Street, Birkenhead 1911 Girls School  (Read 3869 times)

Offline ellie1789

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
163 Vittoria Street, Birkenhead 1911 Girls School
« on: Friday 20 April 12 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

One of my relatives Charlotte Smith was attending this school in the 1911 census. She was described as an 'Inmate' and a "Girl In Training". It was a small "school" of 8 girls.

I have recently been told it was known as a 'home for help'. The lady had also found in a directory of 1902 that a Birkenhead & Wirral Children's Shelter (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) was at 131 Vittoria Street.

I think she believes this is the same place but it obviously moved a few years later. I was wondering if anyone had anymore information on the place or whether they could find out about it for me? I have scoured the internet and have had little luck in finding much about it. I want to find out whether she had been mistreated and sent there from her 'home' where her family were, which was in Wolverhampton, which is obviously far away.

Any help much be appreciated!
Ellie
WOLVERHAMPTON - Stanley, Clark, Ellis, McMillan, Bailey, Vaughan, Wall, Walton. BURTON UPON TRENT - Goodhead. Shropshire - Roberts. IRELAND - Prendergast. BIRKENHEAD - Burrows, Simpson. GLASGOW- McMillan.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 163 Vittoria Street, Birkenhead 1911 Girls School
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 April 12 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi in the 1901 Census, a Mary Ball aged 56 b Liverpool was the Superintendent of Home of help, with 6 inmates, this was at 131, Vittoria Street, Birkenhead, as you have the 1911 census, was Mary Ball still active at the "new" address?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellie1789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 12 19:53 BST (UK) »
I cannot see the 1911 census anymore as I've had to downgrade my membership. I'm sure they were all children listed on the census but I will have to check when I next can. If you can access the 1911 census for me could you please check?

Thanks Ellie
WOLVERHAMPTON - Stanley, Clark, Ellis, McMillan, Bailey, Vaughan, Wall, Walton. BURTON UPON TRENT - Goodhead. Shropshire - Roberts. IRELAND - Prendergast. BIRKENHEAD - Burrows, Simpson. GLASGOW- McMillan.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 April 12 20:00 BST (UK) »
I cannot see the 1911 census anymore as I've had to downgrade my membership. I'm sure they were all children listed on the census but I will have to check when I next can. If you can access the 1911 census for me could you please check?

Thanks Ellie

Hi unfortunately we are not allowed look ups of the 1911, but from the Free 1911 index a Mary Ball b c 1845 Liverpool is still in the Birkenhead area?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellie1789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 April 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
OK, I shall have to look her up when I can next access the census. I'll be shocked if it was the same school and she had infact been mistreated!

Thanks Ellie

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 April 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Birkenhead & Wirral Children's Shelter (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) was at 131 Vittoria Street.

I think she believes this is the same place but it obviously moved a few years later.
Any help much be appreciated!
Ellie

It is the same place.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellie1789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 April 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Can I ask how you know this? And do you know where I could find out more about it? Such as admission documents or anything like that? The person I'm researching later became 'on the wrong side of the law' so if this is true it may explain her behaviour.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 April 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
The same person was in charge in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, I can't give any details of the 1911 census, but in 1901 the superintendent was a Mary Ball.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellie1789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 April 12 22:12 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much!