Author Topic: William BARCLAY, Kilbirnie  (Read 2705 times)

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
William BARCLAY, Kilbirnie
« on: Monday 23 April 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
My ancestors, James BARCLAY and Janet PEEBLES married in Kilbirnie in 1824. Sadly, James (a weaver to trade) died in 1833, and Janet in 1838. They had several children; a daughter, Janet died in infancy. Two sons named James also died as infants, and a third James went on to marry Ann Robertson in 1850.

James and Janet also had a son named William, who was born in 1832. In the 1841 census, he is living with his Peebles grandparents in Bridge St., Kilbirnie. Is anyone researching William, or does anyone know what happened to him after this date? He's not my direct ancestor, but I'm curious to know what became of him and if he kept in touch with his elder brother James.
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William BARCLAY, Kilbirnie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
This could be William on the 1851 census, but a slight difference in age  ??? -

Ann Barclay 42 b.  Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
Janet Barclay 20 b. Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
William Barclay 15 b.  Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
Elizabeth Barclay 13 b. Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
Ann Barclay 4 b. Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
John Kerr 29, lodger, b. Largs, Ayrshire

Living at 44 Bridge Street.

Ann is shown as mother but could she be James' wife?

Added - Just found this family on the 1841 with a William Barclay, so not the one you are looking for - whoops!!

JJ

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Jen  :)
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline WayfaringStranger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 19 00:47 BST (UK) »
My Barclay ancestors also lived on Bridge st. Do you know who the father of your James Barclay (married to Janet Peebles) was?
My 3x great grandparents were William Barclay and Margarat Coock. They were married in Kilbirnie in 1835. William Barclay was also a weaver, as was his father before him, John Barclay.
Margaret died in 1846 and William in 1868
William and Margaret had 4 children (that I know of). Janet, John, William and Mary. Their son William died at age 4. John was married 3x and died in 1890. I do not know what became of Janet and Mary.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 June 19 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat, Wayfaring Stranger,

Janglaschu who started this thread regarding Barclay ancestors has not been active on this site since 2017 ( You'll notice the original post was in 2012) .
If Janglaschu's email address is still active , she should be alerted to your post by email.
Here's hoping she gets back to you !
If not, there are lots of people on this site who enjoy helping others to research , if you need a hand.
Looby :)