Author Topic: Gannon's of Teernacreeve, Castletown-Geoghan  (Read 12182 times)

Offline martinja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gannon's of Teernacreeve, Castletown-Geoghan
« on: Friday 27 April 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
James Gannon and his wife Ann (nee Holohan) sailed to Australia on the Neptune and arrived in Port Phillip 1841. James was born in Teernacreeve in 1814 and Ann was born in Dublin in 1815. They were married in 1834 Castletown-Geoghan, Westmeath. They left my Great Great Grandfather Michael Gannon home in Ireland because he was too ill to travel. He was born in 1838 and stayed with his grand parents until he was old enough to emigrate to Australia.
I am coming to Ireland in June/July and I would love to find out where my ancestors lived and died. Can anyone suggest where would be the best places to visit eg. local churches, towns, land. Apparently James (maybe him or his father also James) leased land at Teernacreeve, CASTLETOWNKINDALEN according to the Griffith's Valuation.
I would really appreciate some recommendations.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Gannon's of Teernacreeve, Castletown-Geoghan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 12 12:29 BST (UK) »
James Gannon and his wife Ann (nee Holohan) sailed to Australia on the Neptune and arrived in Port Phillip 1841. James was born in Teernacreeve in 1814 and Ann was born in Dublin in 1815. The were married in 1834 Castletown-Geoghan, Westmeath.

what denomination were James and Ann's families ?

Teernacreeve townland is in the civil parish of Castletownkindalen, and not far from Mullingar.

Not sure about the Castletown-Geoghan reference, but in Co.Westmeath I can see two townlands named Castletown, a town with the same name, townlands named Castletown Lower and upper, plus Castletowndelvin townland and town, also civil parishes named Castletowndelvin, and Castletownkindalen

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 April 12 12:38 BST (UK) »
Castletown-Geoghan is the later name for the town listed as Castletown in the 1851 townland Index http://www.thecore.com/seanruad. It's located in the townland named Castletown. The details listed are :

Townland: Castletown
   Acres : 691
   Civil Parish : Castletownkindalen
   Barony : Moycashel
   Poor Law Union : Mullingar
   County : Westmeath

Teernacreeve townland is about 6km south of Castletown/Castletown-Geoghan and about halfway between it and Kilbeggan town

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline martinja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, thanks for the information. They were Catholic. I'd be interested to know who were James' siblings and where he and his family actually lived when growing up.
Julie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 April 12 12:59 BST (UK) »
RC baptism and marriage records for the parish based in Castletown go back to 1829 - although there seems to be a gap for part of  1835, so not far enough to include the baptism of James.

The historic records are available on microfilm Pos. 4169 in the National Library in Dublin, where you could check for possible family members.

I'll have a look for the property you  mentioned..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 April 12 13:46 BST (UK) »
the date for the listing of a James Gannon on Griffith's is 1854 - so cant be James jnr, since he left in 1841, but could possibly be his father.

James Gannon is listed as leasing a house, offices (i.e. farm buildings or workshops) and land of about 10 acres from a Maxwell Hamilton. Also living in the same townland are a Michael and John Gannon.

The property that James is listed at is a little off the road. This view on Google Street view shows the approximate location of the former farm buildings J. Gannon property, Teernacreeve

there are several Gannon family member listed in the townland on both the 1901 and 1911 census that could be related :

1901 - Gannon, Teernacreeve

1911 - Gannon, Tearnacreeve

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline gannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather's name was Michael Gannon . He married Mary MacDonald. Their son Joseph was my grandfather.  James and Ann were my great great grandparents. They lived at Batesford before moving to Ballarat district. James helped to build the first St Alipius' church. We were in Ireland for three weeks in 2008 but did not know enough info at that time to do much research. I am going back in 2014, armed with more information to see where my ancestors, the Egans, Hanrahans, Gannons etc came from. Let me know how you get on. I have a cousin who has lots of information if you have specific questions.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 12 12:50 BST (UK) »
the Gannon were carpenters

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile