Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 2479 times)

Offline bitcon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need Help
« on: Tuesday 01 May 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
Just found out that who I taught was my 3rd Great Grandfater's mother is wrong, I got his death cert
and His mother names is Mary Scott not the Catherine Mitchell we taught is was. He also had a brother I did not known about, I need help can't find any info for Mary Scott.

Thomas Carrick
Born 1833
Died 17 Feb 1874 Dumbarton
129 High Street
Wife Elizabeth Campbell

His brother
James Carrick
Born 1822
Died 3 Sept 1896
129 High St
Dumbarton
Wife Jessie Downie

There is a difference of 11 Years between the brothers there has to be more children
they both have the same parents. The brothers were both Master Coopers.

Thank You and hope some one can help me

Lynn
Bitcon Northern Ireland, Scotland, England. Carrick Scotland,Gray Scotland,Galloway Scotland,Forsyth scotland, Campbell scotland,Mitchel scotland, McGregor scotland

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn,

Apologies if I state the obvious.

Any direct line family member must be traced if possible back through the census records from just before death - in your case from the 1871 one back to the 1841 at 10 yearly intervals.

I note on the government website at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk that there is a 3 page will for 'your' Thomas.  May refer to some siblings?  Cost £5.00 using a 'cart' system.  I did not look to see if James left a will.

CARRICK   THOMAS   01/04/1874   COOPER, RESIDING AT # 129 HIGH STREET, DUMBARTON, WINDOW MRS ELIZABETH CAMPBELL OR CARRICK       DUMBARTON SHERIFF COURT   SC65/34/1

Shall go and look for other siblings.  A polite reminder also that the info on the death entry is only as good as the person who supplied its knowledge.  If it wa shis wife or a sibling it should be reasonably reliable.

Regards,  Steve    :)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 15:17 BST (UK) »
Just back off Scotlands People.  Only 10 Thomas Carrick births registered between 1830 and 1854.

Please note that the one born to Catherine Mitchell was actually born on 15/12/1831. The 1833 entry I can only find as a 'submitted' entry on the IGI which again goes to show how notoriously unreliable those entries are...

15/12/1831   CARRICK   THOMAS   THOMAS CARRICK/CATHARINE MITCHEL FR328      DRYMEN   /STIRLING   477/00 0020 0053

There are no births recorded for a Mary Scott - but again this does not mean it didn't happen.  Either not recorded or lost over time.  I also had a look at the Catholic births register and he's not there either.

:(

What was Thomas fathers name - and occupation?

Regards,  Steve

Offline bitcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thomas Carrick father's name was also Thomas Carrick and On Thomas brother james Death it said Coal Miner.
Bitcon Northern Ireland, Scotland, England. Carrick Scotland,Gray Scotland,Galloway Scotland,Forsyth scotland, Campbell scotland,Mitchel scotland, McGregor scotland

Offline bitcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
sorry forgot to say on Thomas Carrick's Death Cert it said Mineral Borer Have no idea what that is but on James is said Coal Miner. I do know for the times that the family did have money. Hope you can help

Lynn