Author Topic: Great Orford Street Liverpool  (Read 8084 times)

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Orford Street Liverpool
« on: Thursday 03 May 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
Born and reared in Dublin myself. In recent months discovered mother and her twin brother were born at 53 Great Orford Street in 1916. It seems their mother went to Liverpool from Dublin to give birth as she was married and the pregnancy was the result of an affair. I know the twins and their mother were back in Dublin in 1920.
Really what I would like to know is, was 53 Great Orford Street a home for women to give birth due to unusual reasons or was it even a maternity hospital. Have googled the area and it appears to be a development area.
Would be grateful if any Liverpool people could provide any information

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Great Orford Street Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
Great Orford Street has appeared in my own FH - not number 53 though

As far as I could establish at the time - they were mainly mixed size residential houses and many were sub - divided into flats or similar

FindMyPast allow you to search the 1911 census by address so you could check number 53 as at 1911.  You would have to buy credits to do so

www.findmypast.co.uk

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 12 00:20 BST (UK) »
According to a Liverpool directory the head of the household was a Patrick O'Neill at 53 Great Orford Street in 1911. He was a Galway man who worked on the docks. Other residents' surnames were Heyes. The address appears to have been residential.

Blue

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole and Blue. Your confirmation that No 53 was residential improves knowledge of mother and her twin brother's arrival in the world.

WE did know grandmother's sister was a nurse in Liverpool and arranged whatever had to be arranged for the births.

Was I correcin saying Great Orford Street  housing was demolished and is awaiting redevelopment ?

When we go to UK its usually to London as its a favourite city. Did spend a week in Manchester in 2008 long before we knew mother was born in Liverpool.

We are having a week holiday in June so just might head to Liverpool and do a trip to Blackpool that has always appealed. Son has always been a Liverpool FC supporter and since he found out in July last year his great granny was born there he is claiming his support for the team comes from the "Scouser" blood.

Again, thank you for your help and I look forward to visiting Liverpool to get a feel of my mother's background

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 May 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Have you seen Great Orford Street on Google Street View? Those images were taken a few years ago. Great Orford Street is near to the RC cathedral. It's also near to the Wellington Rooms (also called the Blackie or Black E) which for many years was the Irish Centre. Most of the original buildings have gone.

Incidentally in 1916 the Liverpool Workhouse was on the site of the RC cathedral. Nurses worked in the hospital part of the Workhouse. This part of Liverpool had an interesting mix of people living there the residents included Jewish people who had come to Liverpool from Eastern Europe ie Poland, Russia etc.

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 12 18:43 BST (UK) »
Here is an old map of the area. The Royal Infirmary is also nearby so there's another place a nurse could have worked:-

http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolaz/np79.htm

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 May 12 20:54 BST (UK) »
One side of Great Orford Street is shown on this old photo.

Blue 

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 May 12 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Blue, great map and photo

Offline Heyesie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 June 12 13:58 BST (UK) »
Have you seen Great Orford Street on Google Street View? Those images were taken a few years ago. Great Orford Street is near to the RC cathedral. It's also near to the Wellington Rooms (also called the Blackie or Black E) which for many years was the Irish Centre. Most of the original buildings have gone.

Incidentally in 1916 the Liverpool Workhouse was on the site of the RC cathedral. Nurses worked in the hospital part of the Workhouse. This part of Liverpool had an interesting mix of people living there the residents included Jewish people who had come to Liverpool from Eastern Europe ie Poland, Russia etc.

Blue

Blue could you give me any details of those Heyes residents you found please
also.
Blue you sure about the Irish centre being called the Blackie
I thought the Blackie was on he corner of China town facing the Anglican