Author Topic: Christina Burgess  (Read 5545 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Christina Burgess
« on: Thursday 03 May 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
Also Christina Burgess his spouse who died at Lochmaben 19th December, 1819, aged 77 years.

You will find the complete headstone here. It give names of her deceased children:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,595551.10.html

I would like to find information on Christina, who was married to George Kerr. I know nothing about her except that she was married to George and when she died.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Burgess
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 12 09:08 BST (UK) »
Is there no one with Burgess in the Lochmaben area in their family tree, here?  ???

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 12 22:09 BST (UK) »

Jamjar,

I have drawn a blank trying to find anything on Christian BURGESS. Having gone by her death date 19 December 1819 and her possible birth year 1742.

Did all the searches on Scotlands People:

No birth for a Christian/Christina/Christine BURGESS for 1742
No marriage for a Christian/Christina/Christine BURGESS for the dates 1760/1770 assuming John KERR was their first child born 1770.
No death for a Christian/Christina/Christine BURGESS or KER/KERR in 1819

Also looked for George

No birth for George KERR for 1736. There was one for a George KER 1736 - parents John KER & Janet Mensil
No marriage for George KERR/KER between 1760/1770
There was one death for a George KERR 1808 

22/03/1808   KERR   GEORGE   SAMUEL KERR   M   LEITH NORTH   EDINBURGH CITY CITY/MIDLOTHIAN

It is possible George & Christina didn't register their marriage, but you would think their deaths would have been.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
Why am I not surprised? ::) I envy those who can trace their ancestors back further than I have with any of mine.   

Did you not find any Burgess in the area at all?

Jamjar

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 May 12 07:22 BST (UK) »
Think I need to visit the library again.

I had a look at Family Search and Goerge & Christna's 5 children are there. No BMD's for either George or Christina for the dates.The name Burgess does appear but, eitheir abroad or in England.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 12 07:41 BST (UK) »
Maybe George crossed over to England for work.

Jamjar

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 May 12 07:50 BST (UK) »

Does tend to make you think that, as there aren't details on SP.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 May 12 11:53 BST (UK) »
Jamjar, I'm not any help to you I'm afraid because my only Burgess link is much much later but it could be a longstanding local family - and then again, it may not.
 I could recognise and totally understand your frustration when nothing on the Burgess name seemed to turn up in the area.  My family are not that far away, mainly Johnstonebridge and surrounding parishes but later generations partially in Beattock as well.
My great aunt married David Burgess.  In earlier records he was shown as a shepherd by by the marriage he seemed to be the tenant farming a neighbouring farm. They married at her home on the family farm (Kirkpatrick Juxta parish) on 19 June 1902.  His full name was David Bryden Burgess, and he was 30, so presumably a birth year around 1872.   His parents were John Burgess, Estate Labourer, and Jane Burgess, MS Bryden.   Neither are shown as Dcd on the marriage certificate.
I've nothing on any Burgess other than that and it's a lot later than you are asking for, but if you really have no hint of any other Burgess family in the area I thought at least I should throw it into the ring for you, as it were.
Sorry it's not more helpful.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 May 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
Jamjar,

You'll not be surprised :'( when I tell you I found nothing on Christina BURGESS. Not even her marriage to George KERR.

Thought perhaps I had missed something on SP, but there was nothing on the OPR's at the library, either. Spent a bit of time on Ancestry in case George & Janet had married over the border.

These are the children I know of:

Elizabeth KERR b. 14 June 1766 - Lochmaben
John KERR b. 14 January 1770 - Lochmaben
Janet KERR b.  6 October 1771 - Lochmaben
James KERR b. 4 November  1773 -Lochmaben

cupcake