Author Topic: Ella Parker Mystery  (Read 3789 times)

Offline NIMROD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ella Parker Mystery
« on: Friday 04 May 12 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It's been ages since I was last on Rootschat so I've rather lost touch and uncertain to whom I've replied and not. If you fall into the latter then please accept my humble apologies.

Ok. I have a mystery which is plaguing the life out of me. It concerns the very sad case of my Gt Gt Aunt, Ella Parker.  She was born in Deal, 1859 to George and Susannah Parker (nee Wellard).

In 1880, Ella was picked up in Spitalfields for prostitution and taken to Whitechapel Infirmary, moved to Banstead Lunatic Asylum before being admitted to Kent County Lunatic Asylum on Chartham Downs. I have obtained her admission and medical records from KCLA which make most distressing reading. She was malnourished, very underweight, dirty and suffering from 2nd degree syphilis and her mental state was very poor. I could go on but I think you can get the picture.  She was discharged on 17th Nov 1892 as "recovered" following a four week trial release period with favourable reports. Judging from the medical records covering her time as a patient it seems she had improved but in my opinion far from recovered.

Now it gets confusing. I cannot find her on any subsequent census, GRO death index, burial records at least as far I can see and whilst I find it unlikely anyway, no marriage entry. Interestingly, her brother, Harry and his wife had a child, also named Ella born in deal on the 5th Sep 1892, ten weeks before Ella's discharge. I applied for the birth certificate and it states Harry and his wife were the parents but it still seems rather coincidental to me. Saying that, the birth does fall into natural sequence with Harry's other childeren. Could she in fact have been Ella's illigitimate child, the asylum no longer wanted her or the child so discharged her? Harry then taking the baby as his own and registering her as his own?  There is no mention however, of a pregnancy in the medical records but I think would probably be omitted if it was the case. Young Ella died a spinster in Deal, 1982.  I have tried tracing living relations with limited success.

Can anybody help with ideas/suggestions for possible leads into finding out what became of Ella. I keep coming back to it with a fresh mind but still go round in circles. It's such a sad case when you read the whole story but what, I wonder, is the whole story?

Many thanks

Nimrod

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ella Parker Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
There is an E PARKER age 44 listed as a lunatic (but married  :-\ ) no place of birth given, in the London Lunatic Asylum, Coulsdon

RG13/635 folio 114 page 3
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
What a sad story...given her medical history it's possible she ended up as one of those poor souls noted in the Parish Registers simply as Unknown found dead in the street/on the beach/in a field.

Re young Ella, I grew up in Deal & remember a Miss Parker who lived opposite us, & I think died about the same time as your Ella. Could be the same person, what, if anything, do you know about your Ella?

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline NIMROD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bearkat,

Thank you for pointing this out. It's possible she is my Ella. The fact that she's married leads me to think probably not but it might pay me to check if medical records from Coulsdon are available to confirm one way or the other.

Many thanks

Nimrod

Offline NIMROD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 May 12 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty,

I have thought along simillar lines myself especially as she was prone to delusions and calling herself by all kinds of fanciful names although they don't list exactly what in her medical reports. She did have a lot of family in Deal so if she died there I feel they would have known who it was. Anywhere else however, is a different matter. Maybe she did simply wander off never to return. I have no idea how the family felt about her, whether they were caring or ashamed and turned their backs. The 1871 census shows her living in Deal with two ladies by the name of, Fearnley. What connection they had, if any to the family I can't say and why was she living with them anyway and not at home?

Re young Ella. Goodness me, this could prove amazing should it be the same person you lived opposite. Her death certificate says she was retired state registered nurse and registered midwife of 10 Church Path. The informant was one Caroline Milway, neice in law of the same address. Unfortunately, Caroline died ten years later. However, I have traced whom I believe to be Caroline's son. I have yet to contact him to see if he can shed any light on this mystery but somehow I feel everything could have been hushed up.

Nimrod.

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 12 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hello NIMROD

Some information from the Deal and Walmer Parish records which you may or may not find of use. I can find no record of any marriages of George & Susanna's children in any of the Deral or Walmer churches, nor any baptisms mentioned.

St Nicholas Church, Sholden 14/10/1851  George PARKER, Butcher of Deal, son of David PARKER, Butcher
                                                   married  Susanna WELLARD of Sholden, daughter of Richard Henry WELLARD, Farmer
Susannah PARKER died 17/12/1898 and was buried at St Andrew's
Children baptised, all at St Andrew's Church, Deal

1/8/1852  Richard John                            29/3/1857  Herbert
22/6/1853  Harry                                       28/3/1858  Arthur
13/10/1854 Annie     died 30/10/1854        9/12/1859  Ella
  4/11/1855  Edwin                                    28/7/1861  Edward

The only possible baptism for any of this family after the above is at St Andrew's 17/12/1898 Annie PARKER d/o Harry & Emma 
While offspring may have been born in  Deal, it is possible they were baptised in another town.
Hope this is of some small help

Regards

AJ

Offline NIMROD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 May 12 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi AJ,

Thank you indeed for this info. I knew of these offspring but not the dates of baptism so it really is a great help. Arthur was my Great grandfather. Again, I knew the year in which Susanna died but not the exact date.  More detail to enter in my family file for which I thank you.

Nimrod

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 May 12 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Nimrod

I couldn't think of 'my' Miss Parker's first name yesterday, but my memory kicked in the early hours of this morning ;D  Her name was Violet, so of course not the same person. She had a brother called Joe.
A shame we can't make the connection :(

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline NIMROD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 May 12 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty,

What a shame, it looked quite promising there for a while.  The answer to Ella Snr probably lies somewhere but I think in the end I will have to admit defeat and throw in the towel. A appreciate your reply.

Nimrod