Author Topic: Help with understanding a RN service record  (Read 778 times)

Offline linjarvis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with understanding a RN service record
« on: Monday 07 May 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if someone might be able to help me understand a RN service record just downloaded from National Archives please. I'm new to them so don't understand the terms being used and am probably not learning as much about him as I might if I understood things like the badges etc. Any help would be appreciated. Have attached the record here hopefully. Kind regards and thank you in anticipation.
Bartlett, Hutton, Jarvis, Sheldon, Power, O'Dwyer, Perryman, Gillingham, Mitchell, Saunders

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with understanding a RN service record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 12 17:37 BST (UK) »
To start with all his ships are listed on the left as you view it...Google should give you them his dates served on them are next to it.

DD is navy speak "Discharged Dead" he died of blood poisoning after been accidentally scalded

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline linjarvis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
I had worked those parts out but thank you for confirming the DD bit. I don't though fully understand the rating bit. On his marriage certifcate he is a Stoker so is this showing various different types of Stoker? Also what does the * bit mean? And what are the 'badges'? Sorry - bit ignorant on these things.
Bartlett, Hutton, Jarvis, Sheldon, Power, O'Dwyer, Perryman, Gillingham, Mitchell, Saunders

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 12 20:02 BST (UK) »
The badges bit are Good Conduct Badges for 4yrs service without getting in trouble.
The * bit looks like he did get in trouble  in 1911/12and was disrated by Warrant ie he lost his rate due to been in front of the Captain for some reason not specified
He was a Stoker and the Stoker 1st class and Leading Stoker through his career.

Hope that helps

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

He only lost one of his two good conduct badges when he was disrated in July 1912, and this was reinstated on 9 January 1913.

Martin

Offline linjarvis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 08:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for this, that helps loads - didn't appreciate before how you achieved these badges. He is recorded as being on Trafalgar II on several occasions. Do you know if this is a trining base rather than a ship?

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 09:58 BST (UK) »
Cant see a Trafalgar 11 but can see Victory 11 That was  Shore Base admin unit in Portsmouth

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)