Author Topic: St Ellyws Church, Llanelieu  (Read 7761 times)

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
St Ellyws Church, Llanelieu
« on: Tuesday 08 May 12 16:11 BST (UK) »
A bit of a long shot but does anyone live anywhere near this church? I have discovered that it has memorial tablets to some of my ancestors on the walls but I can't seem to get in touch with the photographer who took the picture and the images are too small to be able to make out the wording!

If anyone does live nearby would it be possible for them to transcribe or photograph the tablets for me?
The family are Davies and there should be William Davies listed.

Many thanks if anyone can help

Bean

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Ellyws Church, Llanelieu
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Bean - I live about three miles from this church but it is rather remote.  I could walk up there when the weather improves to see if I can find the tablets you mention - perhaps you could PM me with whatever details you have of your ancestors so I know what I'm looking for!

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 12 09:12 BST (UK) »
GS - that is such a kind offer, thank you very much.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there Bean

I went up to the church today - a very long walk and the weather was not being kind.  I think google was measuring it in country miles, most definitely!    We eventually got there only to find the place locked; there are instructions on which house  holds the key but by that time we (ie daughter, dog and me) were soaking wet and losing the will to live.  So we have decided we will return when the weather is better and leave plenty of time to get key and take photos.

It really is such a sweet little church; sad that the place is so overgrown that it resembles a hay meadow and when you try to walk through the churchyard, you end up falling over hidden headstones.  However, I took a photo for you to show you what a pretty little place it is.

So I haven't forgotten; we'll go back again on a fine day and leave plenty of time to do what we need to do.

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Bean,
               Although it doesn't help your present search, you might like to see these pictures of the church: http://www.jlb2011.co.uk/walespic/churches/llanelieu1.htm

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:12 BST (UK) »
Greensleeves - I hope your will to live has returned and you've all dried out, this weather is so unpredicable at present!! Thank you so much for trying, I really appreciate it - I suspect you're right and google was doing the whole country mile thing - thank you once again

Hi Pinot - thanks for that, I think I've seen it while trying to find images before.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:22 BST (UK) »
It will be a lovely walk in find weather, Bean - some really nice views up there.  So as I said before, I haven't forgotten; will post pics when I get them.

Regards,
GS

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 20:04 BST (UK) »
Just got back from a very nice walk back up to the church; it is a lovely place, no longer used as a church other than a Christmas carol service.  There is no electricity so it must be very atmospheric, lit with candles and lanterns.  Here is the first shot of the plaques you want which are to the left-hand side of the altar.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
Here is a close-up of the one on the left.