Author Topic: Catherine Maloney  (Read 7214 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Maloney
« Reply #45 on: Monday 21 May 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
I think there is a Lucas family at 1 Commercial St in 1861 and in 1871 looks to be a house with more than one family in the accomodation.

I am quite ignorant of the place so have just looked it up re docks etc - there are a number of shipwrights and associated trades in the area.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Minera

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 21 May 12 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you, didn't expect to find her there in 61,  would think she would have probably have arrived just prior to conception or during her pregnancy. Have no idea how long she would have stayed but I don't think she had roots there as she was in Liverpool soon after as had her second son here.
I only know Poplar from what I saw on tv ( call the midwives) but have been googling, whenever I have pondered I get the feeling that she had ties/ support in Liverpool. Would not surprise me if she went to Poplar with Peter Snr or to join him when pregnant. Then settled in Liverpool ,seamens families are alone too much and sometimes the men don't come back, so you need to have roots and be able to find work.  Think they were both transition zones but Liverpool was both Catholic and Irish.
Morris x Thomas family. I think they lived in Meline but are registered at Narberth.

Offline Minera

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 21 May 12 16:52 BST (UK) »
 :)Trying to find the Lucas family in census do you have name of head please ? May give some hints xx
Morris x Thomas family. I think they lived in Meline but are registered at Narberth.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 21 May 12 17:01 BST (UK) »
:)Trying to find the Lucas family in census do you have name of head please ? May give some hints xx

Thomas Lucas b Marysfield Nottinghamshire with wife Elizabeth b Liverpool

Yes of course Call the Midwife was in Poplar.

Offline Minera

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 21 May 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
 :) Ok it's all a bit of a longshot but the wife and son of the Lucas family were born in Lpool, so they have not been in Poplar long, they have 2 unrelated visitors with them in 61. So it's pos the family were still there in 1865 when Kate had Peter. Am thinking maybe she knew them or they befriended her.
The man is a joiner and someone tought Peter his trade, Kate called her 2nd son William which was the name of their son, she is back in Lpool then. So am going to look for the Lucas family and see if they returned to Lpool also.  Could be clutching at straws. Xx

Offline Minera

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 21 May 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
 :)Got them in Liverpool in 71 think there is something in this xx

Offline Minera

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 21 May 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Oh no false alarm, it's the wrong family same names, but not them .

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 21 May 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
No they are still in London in 1871 but at a different address.

I think the likely scenario is as you say- she moved to Liverpool for family/friends -Ireland/Liverpool connections.

Neighbours and Godparents for the children may help in looking at Catherine's life. Peter is difficult because of his absences and never around at census times!

Offline Minera

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 07:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you will just concentrate on her later life in Liverpool, as that seems to make more sense. Xx