Author Topic: Where was my 4 x g.grandfather buried?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Where was my 4 x g.grandfather buried?
« on: Saturday 12 May 12 17:03 BST (UK) »
My 4 x g.grandfather died on 30 March 1817 (I have his will with the date shown at the end, at the time of proving the will - the will is also on FindMyPast now) in Norley and according to IGI was buried on 2 April 1817.  The question is where?

I know his wife who died in 1808 is buried in St Laurence Churchyard, Frodsham, her gravestone reading "Mary late wife of George Woodward of Norley who died February 8 1808 aged 58 years".

My 3 x g.grandfather John Woodward (son of Mary and George) is also buried at St Laurence as is his wife Elizabeth (Betty).  Interestingly, their gravestone appears to have been used twice. 

The front of the stone reads "Here lieth the body of Betty Wife of John Woodward of Five Crosses who died Jan 31 1825 Aged 41 years.
Also the body of the above named John Woodward who died Jan 17 1848 aged 77 years".

However on the reverse of the stone is an inscription "Mary late wife of George Woodward of Norley who died February 8 1808 aged 58 years.
Also Betty wife of John Woodward who died January 31 1825 aged 41 years". 

So at one time it looks as though the family was going to be buried in the same grave, or else the stonemason made a mistake and put Elizabeth (Betty)'s name on Mary Woodward's stone and then had to do another new one for Mary Woodward and re-used the one where he'd made a mistake for Elizabeth (Betty) and her husband.

The question is, did George get buried with his wife and no-one had the stone inscribed or, for some reason, was he buried elsewhere?  As he married at St. Laurence and all his children were baptised and married there, it seems odd that he isn't buried there.

Lizzie

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where was my 4 x g.grandfather buried?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 May 12 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,
I've just seen the actual Burial Entry on FindMyPast and George was buried 2 April 1817 age 76 in the parish churchyard in Frodsham i.e St Laurence.

Also, some MI's were published in 1969 - copy at CRO http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/churches/frodsham.html
and on FindMyPast too
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 May 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you Shep, I looked at Familysearch late last night which just said Frodsham.  I didn't think of FindMyPast - senior moment I'm afraid. 

I'll try Cheshire Record Office to see if they've got MIs from 1817.  Interesting that his name is not on his wife's headstone, but as there seems to have been some mix up with his wife's headstone and his son and d.i.l's, perhaps in the end the family just forgot to get his name added.

Lizzie

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Thought this pic might help with the explanation.......

I'm also researching this line. Have you anything on George & Mary's son Thomas?

odessa
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
Lizzie I think a grave record and M.I. are on FindMyPast - search under John Woodward buried 1848. The M.I. has no mention of George or Mary and describes the stone as a "Flat top" - I have a picture of this one too.

Why 2 stones for John & Betty? The smaller one looks older - could it have been bigger at one time? The other thing that intrigues me is the text - "Mary late wife of George Woodward of Norley" - usually when one talks of a late wife or husband it means they have predeceased you, so you would imagine that this inscription was done within George Woodward's lifetime i.e. before 1817.

odessa.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 12 00:57 BST (UK) »
Odessa

I think the stonemason carved Betty Woodward's name on the wrong gravestone, i.e. with her mother in law and then had to do a new one for Betty and her husband.  I assume they found that out before Betty was buried.  ::)  As George seems to have been buried in Frodsham, I don't know why his name doesn't appear on any gravestone.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Thomas Hobson apart from I know there were two of them.  One baptised 29 January 1775, died 11 September 1775 and another one  baptised 9 February 1777.

I have a copy of George Woodward's will dated 20 Dec 1811, probate 23 Jan 1818 (death 30 March 1817) in which Thomas, along with the other siblings was left £100.  The will is on FindMyPast now and if you click on the original image you'll be able to read it.  There are 3 pages, but page 3 is only the outer cover.

Of course, George quoted the names of the daughters' husbands but not any wives of the sons. ::)

Lizzie

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/records/probate-and-wills/details/P/748082550?e=P&fY=1801&tY=1821&sn=WOODWARD&fns=GEO&fnNXF=true&cy=CHS&rC=1&locale=en&_zga_s=1

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 12 00:57 BST (UK) »
Odessa

I forgot to say thank you for sharing the photographs of the gravestones.

Lizzie

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Thanks, I did get the Will of George Woodward some years ago. There's such a lot of Woodwards in the same area and very little in the way of paper evidence to link my Thomas Woodward b.abt 1777 to George & Mary excepting when his first child was born he and his wife Jane French were described as "of Norley" and the child was named George. The family soon after settled in Weaverham. Other researchers have a different outcome for Thomas son of George & Mary Woodward.

regards,
odessa.