Author Topic: Corporal Craig's Army Records  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Becky84

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corporal Craig's Army Records
« on: Tuesday 15 May 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wanted to find the records for my mums great uncle Corporal William Craig (born c1894 Berwick upon tweed) of the Royal Scots greys. He didn't die in the war but died 1931 in Hull. It says in the newspaper after his death that his first contingent was to France 1914. Would anyone be able to find any of his army records I can view online please?.

thanks
Becky
Moyses (Ellis), Cunningham, craig, cockburn, tuttle, carr, bush, green, longhorn, sewell, Rimmer, Warkup, quantrill, oliver, atkinson (weel/Hull), Milner, Wilson....

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Corporal Craig's Army Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Becky

His records may not have survived. Most of these records were destroyed during the blitz in WW2.

Find my past have most of what is left on line Pay site. or The national archives below.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/default.htm

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Becky

His records may not have survived. Most of these records were destroyed during the blitz in WW2.

Find my past have most of what is left on line Pay site. or The national archives below.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/default.htm

Yours Aye
BruceL

Hi

Surviving WW1 Service Records are on Ancestry not Findmypast. WW1 Medal Rolls are also on Ancestry

Andy

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry Andy
wrong one keep getting them mixed up

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline icparker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 17 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Becky84,

I found this web site yesterday and your posts. William Craig was my grandfather. I have rejoined Ancestry.co.uk over the Christmas period to add to my Mumby family tree and decided to follow the Craig branch. I don't know much about the Craig family as William died when my mother Kathleen Parker (Craig) was 7.

My mother passed away in 2014 and a relative gave us some newspaper clipping copies of his funeral, thank you for posting the gun carriage photograph it is much better than the newspaper copy.

I did a quick search last night for both William and his father William on the censuses you posted but nothing came up on my searches, I will try again today.

I would appreciate ant information you have, thank you for the information so far.

Many thanks.

Ian.

Offline AndyMartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:24 GMT (UK) »

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 January 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
BruceL and Andy are both right. First World War army service records are on both Ancestry AND Findmypast. It's always worth checking both, if you can, because there are some variations in the transcriptions.

Offline Sherlock84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Becky84,

I found this web site yesterday and your posts. William Craig was my grandfather. I have rejoined Ancestry.co.uk over the Christmas period to add to my Mumby family tree and decided to follow the Craig branch. I don't know much about the Craig family as William died when my mother Kathleen Parker (Craig) was 7.

My mother passed away in 2014 and a relative gave us some newspaper clipping copies of his funeral, thank you for posting the gun carriage photograph it is much better than the newspaper copy.

I did a quick search last night for both William and his father William on the censuses you posted but nothing came up on my searches, I will try again today.

I would appreciate ant information you have, thank you for the information so far.

Many thanks.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

I can't get onto my old account Becky84. I'm sorry to hear about your mum. Do you have Genes Reunited? My tree goes back to 1831 on the Craig side (I cant find them in Ireland so I cant go back further) if not I can email you a copy of what I've done.
Most of the photos (some info) I have I got sent from Paul Craig, William Craig's brother Roberts grandson (I think he would be your 2nd cousin). I have his email address if you would like to talk to him?.
Also have you seen the newspaper report of what happened?.

Becky

p.s Don't know if you looked at my other posts of the photos I posted, so I've posted them below.

James Craig 1885-1933

William Craig

William Craig

My Grandad William Craig 1926 Berwick upon tweed-1970 at sea

My Grandad William Craig (right) and his friend

Left to right: Your Grandad and his Sisters, Elizabeth 1892-1974 she brought up my Grandad when his mam died in 1926 after child birth and my Grandma Annie Craig 1890-1926 on the end.

Offline icparker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Becky,
My apologies for not replying to your message. I only recently found your post.
I lost my login and created a new one. I have now reset everything and reverted back to my original user name.

Thank you for the photographs I haven’t seen the last three before.
I recently visited Berwick to find where William, William and his father James lived.
The house is no longer there as I believe the street was widened on that side to form Walkergate form the previous Walkergate Lane.

I have attached my version of the family tree would you mind taking a look to see if it is correct.
Many thanks.
Ian.