Author Topic: Adel refomatory  (Read 1298 times)

Offline lynnmurray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adel refomatory
« on: Saturday 19 May 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, has anyone got any information on the Leeds reformatory school at Adel-cum-eccup please? Albert James Mower was sent there sometime around 1891 and I would just like to know why he was there and for how long. His year of birth was 1876. Hope someone can help. many thanks

Offline PFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adel refomatory
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 12 12:28 BST (UK) »

Offline lynnmurray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks it was really interesting reading. I would just like to know now why he was there and for how long as he went on to marry and have a family

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 12 17:35 BST (UK) »
Lynn,

Records
West Yorkshire Archive Service — Leeds, Chapeltown Road, Sheepscar, Leeds, LS7 3AP. Holdings for "Leeds East Moor Community Home School": Admission registers (1864-1981); Discharge books (1892-1978); Punishment registers (1907-73); Minute books (1859-1973); Medical Officer's reports (1918-74); Headmaster's reports (1930-55); Deeds 1857-1938; Records of Whinmoor Remand Home (1933-85); Records of Ainsty Lodge Home (1976-84); Salaries and conditions of service (1935-36); Air raid precautions (1939-41); Staff register; 1893-1953); Visitors' books (1858-1970); Annual returns (1938-50); Wages book (1956-63); Plans (1870-1976); Admission register (1960-1990).

Maybe one of the Admission registers will give you the information that you seek:

I had a look in the Leeds Mercury, online at many local libraries, and available at home with a library ticket, (19th Century British Newspapers), and although there is much about the Reformatory, including that boiler explosion, entering Albert Mower/James Mower/Mower, does not reveal anything at all.

Tom

Offline lynnmurray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 12 18:41 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to access the registers online, as I do not live in England now.

Offline PFG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
I don't think the West Yorkshire Archive Service has that material online.  They do offer a research service for those unable to visit.  There's information about that on their site:

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/

Offline CarrieSal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn
I don't know if you use Ancestry.com, but they have records on there. My great grandfather was i the same place.
I have found a Albert Mower, age 13, born in Norwich, i don't know if this is your Albert? anyway he was admitted 27th October 1888, Offence was Lodging in the open air, Sentence was 10 Days 5 Years. not sure why it was written like that was round. He could read and write and his intelligence was good. He had Brown hair, Brown Eyes, Parents: Mother was dead, (found mother as being Emma on the 1881 Census) Father was John, Johns Occupation was Labourer. Father living at 5 Cave Street, Dewsbury Road, Leeds. Character of Father: Drinks occasionally.
Albert was Discharged was 26th October 1893

Hope this is your Albert and that this info helps