Author Topic: Linnell Foster  (Read 1587 times)

Offline wagb278

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Linnell Foster
« on: Tuesday 22 May 12 18:38 BST (UK) »
Linnell Foster (1871-1961) was my maternal Grandfather.  I have census records up thru 1920.  He lived in Massachusetts.  Sometime between 1920 and 1030 he abandoned his wife and children (1930 census does not include him with the family).

We stumbled on a grave marker (thanks to Find-A-Grave) that lists a person with the right name and dates at a cemetery in Ipswich, but with a person identified as his wife (Mary E. Kinsman).

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Foster&GSfn=Linnell&GSiman=1&GScid=91075&GRid=44791626& is the link to grave marker.

I have searched SSDI and other potential sources and have been unable to locate any information about either of the persons on the grave marker; specifically Linnell (post 1920).  I suspect, if the Linnell on the grave marker is my grandfather, there was no divorce or second marriage by law.

Any, and all, help is welcome.

Thanks, Jim

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Linnell Foster
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 19:33 BST (UK) »
Given his date of death, I'm not surprised that he's not on the SSDI.  There's some information on this page about why someone might not be on the SSDI -  http://rwguide.rootsweb.ancestry.com/lesson10.htm

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
The 1932 Boston city directory has Foster, Linnell, salesman, home 705 Tremont.  He appears in directories at the same address through at least 1938.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 May 12 03:36 BST (UK) »
A possible for Mary:
There is a Mary E. Nickelson (b. 15 May 1884 in Boston) married to (Willard) Quincy Kinsman 1904 and showing in 1910/1920 censuses. By 1930 I think I can see Willard listed as divorced and some of their kids scattered about.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 May 12 04:14 BST (UK) »
Ipswich is a small town and it has a nice, friendly little town library.  I used to have family there and have spent some time in the library.  I'd write and see if they can find an obituary.

http://www.ipswichlibrary.org/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline wagb278

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 May 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the information and suggestions.

Jim

Offline wagb278

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 May 12 18:19 BST (UK) »
The Ipswich library website includes an index of Obits.  Consulting that data neither Linnell Foster or Mary Kinsman are listed.  This tells me they did not die in Ispwich.  I presume they lived outside that town.

Jim

EDIT: Linnell is listed in the index of Obits for Ipswich (I missed it first time around) - Jim

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 May 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
They may have died there and just not had an obituary placed.  Or the obituary was placed in a different newspaper.

Offline CCIpswich

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 May 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
Mary E. Kinsman was my great-grandmother. I came across your post in the course of trying to research her family history. I believe your grandfather is the man I knew as "Lennie."  My understanding was that they fell in love and left their families. She and my great-grandfather (Willard Quincy Kinsman) were divorced. In 1936 she built a cottage on Little Neck, in Ipswich, and she and Lennie lived there together until his death.

I remember my mother taking me to visit them when I was a young child. I have some photographs if that would help you determine if this is the man you are looking for.

Cynthia