Author Topic: John Nimmo Lived in Dumbarton 1891  (Read 2611 times)

Offline walker_mckay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Nimmo Lived in Dumbarton 1891
« on: Wednesday 23 May 12 04:29 BST (UK) »
Would anyone have any information on John Nimmo listed in the 1891, 1901 census records in the household of Thomas Melvin and his wife Martha? (Martha born in Ireland/Wales?). John Nimmo was listed as the stepson of Thomas Melvin. His half siblings were William James, George and Jessie Melvin. He was born in England by about 1882. John Nimmo married and lived in Dumbarton. He may have died in Dumbarton by about 1929.

Walker_McKay.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John Nimmo Lived in Dumbarton 1891
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Scotlandspeople has a marriage for Thomas Melvin and Martha Nimmo 1889 Dumbarton , Dunbarton

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline walker_mckay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev - Thank you for the marriage year. I had a look at the 1881 census records in the UK for John Nimmo and got a single hit for one in Liverpool. I think that it's likely the same individual although the mother's name is a bit daunting.

I was wondering if you had any insight on post 1901 resources in Dunbartonshire? 1929 immigration records of his nephews, William and Thomas Melvin listed "Mrs. John Nimmo" as their contact in Dumbarton. I was curious if there were any relatives to be found in the area especially John Nimmo's estranged sister-in-law, Mary Watson Melvin.

Thank you again for the year of Thomas and Martha's marriage.

Walke_McKay

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
SP has the 1911 Census for Scotland , births up 1911 , marriages up to 1936 , and deaths up to 1960 available to view online(Free to search , pay to view)

ev

Added - there is a Thomas Melvin age 68 Dumbarton Dunbarton on the 1911 Census ,
             second person forename Martha
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline walker_mckay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Ah, ev, I'm going to have to master navigating SP. It's a great resource. I just recently looked at it and they've changed it quite a bit since my last visit.

walker_mcKay