Author Topic: "In West Oxford, Historical Notes & Pictures concerning th parish of St Thomas t  (Read 5011 times)

Offline susanhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am looking for an article in a book
"In West Oxford, Historical Notes & Pictures concerning th parish of St Thomas the Martyr, Oxford"
1928, Thomas W Squires
Page 123, Abel Beesley, a famous champion punter
Abel Beesley, University Boatman

If any one has this book, I woul dealy love to have a scan of this article, I cannot afford the asking price of this book for a single article.  If someone can help I would greatly appreciate it

With thanks
Howkins

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Susan

If you don't have any success on here, you could always try one of the local libraries who would probably mail you a copy of the article.

http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/index/libraries_heritage_countryside/libraries_and_information/libraries/library.htm?lib=18086

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline susanhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
i have tried here, but they cannot give me a definat answer until I send them money, and then they cannot tell me how much
sounds a little uneasy for me
Thanks anyway, I am hoping someone has this book and they can help me
Susan
Howkins

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Susan

I'm really sorry to hear about that dreadful attitude.  It's not exactly "rocket science" to work out how long it is going to take to look up 1 page in a book and photocopy or take notes from it  ???  There are a lot of libraries who wouldn't charge or only require reimbursement of copying costs and postage - less than £1.

Perhaps somebody living nearby could pop into the library and get you a copy of the article  ???

Good luck with your quest

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FOOTLOOSE312

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
If you are still needing a scan of this article, I have the book.
Regards, Ian.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "In West Oxford, Historical Notes & Pictures concerning th parish of St Thomas t
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 July 10 22:40 BST (UK) »
Just wonder if you are interested in Abel Beesley?

No doubt you are aware that in 1887 in lived in 23, Lower Fisher Row, when he was giving evidence at an inquest before the city coroner, there's quite a good article in the Oxford Journal.

An article in 1878, talks about an Abel Beesley jun., gives his height and weight.

His father was Abel Beesley a fisherman, often getting caught for fishing with illegal nets.

Tom

Offline FOOTLOOSE312

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanx all the same. I was going thro' my old books, googled this book and request came up.
I've since noticed the person asking, last used the site a long time ago.
Ian.

Offline eddie1938

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "In West Oxford, Historical Notes & Pictures concerning th parish of St Thomas t
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
hello i am new to all this but abel beesley was my relation and i have also been looking for the said article and would be very grateful for any help
                                  Alan

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 September 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
Just wonder if you have the articles from the Oxford Journal; there are 58 of them altogether.

Tom