Author Topic: Burgess family LOOK UP please  (Read 7152 times)

Offline lambiejams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burgess family LOOK UP please
« on: Monday 28 May 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have hit a brick wall on my family tree and wondered if anyone might know information or be able to look it up for me. Here is what i have:

Robert Burgess(b. 1795 - d. 1849) Tipperary, Ireland (possibly born in Castle Otway Lodge in Templederry?) Has brothers named Abraham (b. 1788), John (b. 1790) and Thomas (b. 1791).
Robert was married to Jane Hayes (b. 1790 - d. 1886) Roscrea, Tipperary County, Ireland.
Robert and Jane had 2 sons that i know of: Abraham Burgess (b. 1833) Offaly, Ireland and William Burgess (b. 1835 in Milltown Lodge, Anaville, Ireland and d. 1886 in Shinrone, Offaly, Ireland)
Abraham Burgess immigrated to New Zealand in 1865 on the Ernestina. I have most of the info from that point on. William's wife Maria Ann West immigrated to the U.S. (Connecticut) with their children in 1891 or 93? and i have a little info on that also.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me find info on Robert Burgess and Jane Hayes? I have tried searching as far as i could but have hit a dead end. I think it's tough too because they were born in the 1700's and records don't seem to exist before 1845. But if anyone knows anything i would be so grateful. Baptisms, Marriages, Births, Burials...ANYTHING!

Thanks so much :)

Kristee (Burgess) Mays

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Burgess family LOOK UP please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 May 12 17:23 BST (UK) »
Robert and Jane had 2 sons that i know of: Abraham Burgess (b. 1833) Offaly, Ireland and William Burgess (b. 1835 in Milltown Lodge, Anaville, Ireland and d. 1886 in Shinrone, Offaly, Ireland)

The dates for Robert and Jane are very early for church records, you would have to establish their denomination and which parishes they married and were baptized in, so you could check if there are any records are available.

do you have baptism details for the two sons?

see: Introduction to Irish Records
       My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 May 12 17:34 BST (UK) »
A search of the free index on the pay-website of RootsIreland, shows a possible match for Abraham's baptism in the Church of Ireland parish of Shinrone, Co. Offaly. I dont see any match for William - maybe he was baptized in a parish where the records dont go back far enough.

There is a possible match for a sibling of Abraham - a John baptized in 1837, also in Shinrone CofI parish.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 May 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
one more possible sibling for Abraham - Robert baptized 1829, in the same parish.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Burgess family Look Up please
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 May 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Annaville seems to be the name of a house or estate located in Ballykilleen townland, and located a little over 1km east of Shinrone town.

The area is in the south of Co. Offaly and just a few Km from the border with Co. Tipperary, and Roscrea town.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline lambiejams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 May 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks Shane! I appreciate all the info you found. I'll have to see if I can find out what denomination they were. But the Abraham you found sounds about right. The other potential brothers are possible too as those are very popular names on our tree :)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 May 12 20:27 BST (UK) »
Don't know if the below are connected to your family, but Burgess is an unusual surname so there may be a connection.

Headstone in Clonogill graveyard Birr, Offaly

Eleanor M Burgess; Hillside Birr
born-28/11/1911; died-29/6/2006
Captain Denis J Burgess
Royal Army Medical Corps
born-21/5/1910; died-14/2/1945
On active service in Germany
interred in the War cemetery Mierlo Netherlands.
=========
Jack

Offline lambiejams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 02:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jack. I've not heard those names before in our family tree, but that doesn't mean they're not related :) Not sure where they fit in but would be interesting to research.