Author Topic: Kinnegad and Killucan  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kinnegad and Killucan
« on: Thursday 31 May 12 03:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what year the RC parish of Kinnegad was separated from the RC parish of Killucan?  In other words, Killucan was split into two parishes.  The C of I parish of Killucan was not affected.  No one at the church in Kinnegad seems to know.

Also, I am looking for historical facts about the town of Kinnegad and the RC parish of Kinnegad, which includes Coralstown, County Westmeath and Clonard, County Meath.  I have three sets of ancestors who came from there to NYC in the 1840s and 50s.  Many of them went into horse-related occupations--drivers, ostlers, a horse doctor.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Kinnegad and Killucan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 May 12 08:55 BST (UK) »
Baptism records for Killucan RC parish go back to 1838, marriages back to 1821. A note in the NLI Index refers to earlier associated records in the parish of "Raharney & Rathwire (Killucan)", which consist of baptisms (only) from 1821 to 1838.

Kinnegad RC parish records go back to 1827 for baptisms, and 1844 for marriages.

Looks like both parishes existed back to the 1820s, and for a time alongside Raharney & Rathwire, so depending on the dates and record type involved, you may need to check one or more of these for you family.

There are listing for the town of Kinnegad and civil parish/town of Killucan in Samuel Lewis 1837 Topographical directory that might be of interest :

Killucan

Kinnegad

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kinnegad and Killucan
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 12 13:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  I do have all of that information already as I have done a lot of research--and visited last year.  It is the specific date of the RC parish division that I am seeking. Thanks again.