Author Topic: Arthur Bell  (Read 1828 times)

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur Bell
« on: Thursday 31 May 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
I am reserching my family tree by tradition the oldest son in the family has been named Arthur. It has been suggested that this may be due to a connection with Arthuret near Longtown.
My interst is with an Arthur Bell who married in the parish of Canonbie in 1831. He was a cotton weaver had a large family and died near Cononbie in 1858.
Since cotton weaving is associated with the Carlisle area it is possible that he was born and raised south of the border. Any ideas??

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Bell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 May 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
I can see an Arthur BELL in Canonbie in 1851 census with (second) wife Isabella (IGI suggests JACKSON).  This one certainly seem to have died by 1861 as Isabella was a widow.

In 1851, Arthur was aged 37 so born about 1813 ... birthplace given as Langholm, Dumfries-shire. :)

Now Arthur was quite a bit older than Isabella ... so may have not been wholly truthful about his age in 1851.  Indeed, whilst married to Margaret in 1841 he admits to age 30 ... i.e. born 1806-11 (in Dumfries-shire).

I'm afraid I can find no other facts about him.  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline minto77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Bell
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 12 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info Isabella Jackson was third wife. From the statuary death record in 1858 Arthurs mother was shown as Ann or Anne Park. Arthur left a huge family from his three wives.
The Arthur born in langholm was Arthur Bell later to become a tweed manufacturer.