Author Topic: Poppitt(et) marriage to Elizabeth Llewellyn  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Pathughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poppitt(et) marriage to Elizabeth Llewellyn
« on: Saturday 02 June 12 19:09 BST (UK) »
I am researching my Poppitt (various spellings) family in Montgomeryshire, Wales. However, I seem to have a lady called ELIZABETH LLEWELLYN married to a father and her son!! I would like some help to sort out who she is actually married to ( or where both father and son actually married to 2 different women who both, co-incidently, had the same names) .

My records show:

Father: ROBERT POPPET born abt 1774 in Hyssington , Montgomery, Wales
             Married to ELIZABETH LLEWELLYN on 6 Oct 1801 in Churchstoke, Montgomery, Wales. Records show that she may have died about 1836.

Son:     ROBERT POPPITT born 2 Apr 1809 in Warden Point, Montgomery, Wales, died 1 Jan 1892 in   San Bernadino, California, USA .
             Married to MARTHA PUGH (no details)- child Robert Poppett born 12 Apr 1839 in Worthern, Montgomery
             Married to ELIZABETH LLEWELLYN of Hope Hill, Worthen, Shropshire, who died abt 1836 - 2 children, John and Elizabeth Poppitt

Same name, same date of death, and apparently married to father and son - too confusing for me!!

I would be very grateful of any help to help me sort this out.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poppitt(et) marriage to Elizabeth Llewellyn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 16:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  ;D

Can I ask what are your sources for this information?

Do you have the birth cert for Robert?

Robert Poppet june qtr 1839 Montgomery vol 27 pg 99 - it would confirm maiden name of his mother

1841 census Hope Hill, Hope, Montgomeryshire HO107/909/21 folio 10 pg 13
Robert Poppet 30 miner lead not born in county
Martha 30
John 7
Elizabeth 5
Robert 2

1851 Hope HO107/2498 folio 373 pg 7
Robert Poppet head mar 42 lead miner b. Montgomeryshire, Churchstoke
John son 17 labourer b. Shropshire, Worthen
(no other family at home)

There is a marriage of a Richard Poppet & Martha Pugh in 1819 in Forden in Montgomeryshire, This couple had a son Richard baptised in 1822
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JS1M-673
and a daughter Fanny bp 1824
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JS1M-XVS
and a daughter Marianne bp 1819
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NY6L-VV7

There's a possible burial for that Martha aged 39 in Forden in 1830 & a remarriage for Ricahrd the following year.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Pathughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Osprey for your speedy reply.

I have Robert Poppett's birth certificate - born 12 Apr 1839 in Chirbury, Montgomery. His mother's name is stated as being Martha Pugh.  This is the family in the 1841 Census of Hope Hill that you mentioned.

His Father was also Robert Poppett. This Robert Poppett 1809 - 1892 was married twice, and as stated above he was definately married to Martha Pugh.  Martha is shown as having charge of all 3 children in the census, although the first 2 (John and Elizabeth) were from Robert (Snr)'s first marriage). It is this first marriage that has me confused. I think that I may have mistakenly put her down as Elizabeth Llewellyn as a presumption from some notes on my files from a relative who says that, after the death of his first wife ELIZABETH, the children were sent to America - which Robert (Jnr of the 1841 census) was - but I have no other information one way or another as to this Elizabeth's surname. 

After looking more deeply into who ELIZABETH LLEWELLYN was, I am now convinced that she was actually married to Robert (of the 1841 census)'s Grandfather! (also another Robert).

Robert (Grandfather) is registered in the (marriage?) records  of the Church Stoke, Montgomery indexes, Index 05, image no. 394, record 48, batch no: 103806-5 as being married to ELIZABETH LLEWELLYN on 6 Oct 1801 . I got this info from the New.FamilySearch.org records)

I would still very much appreciate any further investigation as to the other Elizabeth who was the 1st wife of Robert Poppitt (whose 2nd wife was Martha Pugh). Could you help me with any further look-ups? I live in France and have no other sources here to refer to other than the internet - and I'm not very sure where to research as I am still quite a novice.

I don't know who the Richard Poppet and Martha Pugh are who you also mentioned, but will note their names and see if they are connected to my family.

Thanks again for all your help so far.

:)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 11:14 BST (UK) »
like you, my only resource for this area is the internet. The search really isn't helped by by the places being so close to the county boundary. The Poppet men seemed to like women called Martha. There's this marriage not so far away

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N28G-63N

The Richard who was married to Martha Pugh remarried in 1831

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG4Q-F2D

I can't seem to find the Robert marriage to Elizabeth. The batch number you've given is one for baptisms?

Are you anywhere near an LDS centre so that you could order the films of the parish records?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb