Author Topic: Pub in Burnham-on-Crouch (Essex) COMPLETED  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Bobc35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pub in Burnham-on-Crouch (Essex) COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 07 June 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am trying to fill in a few gaps in the history of my paternal grandparents, Fred Robert and Ellen (or Helen) Carrier. I am fairly sure that they ran a pub in Burnham-on-Crouch (Essex) in the late 1940's or very early 1950's. They took it on when he retired from his job as a panelbeater in London.
My only memory of it was when I was perhaps 8 or 9 years old, and I can remember that it was near the sea, as I used to fish for crabs from the sea wall. The other memory was that it had a stuffed 5-legged sheep (or lamb) in a glass case on the wall, bizarre now but fascinating to an 8 year old. I think it had 4 normal legs plus one on the back of its neck.
I have tried the websites on old pubs etc., without any success. Has anyone any ideas on how I can track this down? I just hope that my memory is not totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is correct.
As usual, all help will be very welcome.
Bob.

Offline cobbs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pub in Burnham-on-Crouch (Essex)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 12 18:37 BST (UK) »
If you have Anc*stry you could try the Phone Books or the National Probate Calender.

Cobbs.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
Does this ring any bells with you: The Anchor, on the Quayside at Burnham on Crouch?

Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Bobc35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 June 12 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi cati,
  the Anchor looks very nice, but to be honest I was last in Burnham-on-Crouch about 60years ago, so I really can't remember. Since I live in Shropshire it is a long journey there, so I was hoping to do something on-line. I have contacted the local museum, in case they can help. If not, I may have to make a visit for a few days and visit all the pubs to see if anything looks familiar.
   As someone once said, it's a tough job but someone has to do it.

Bob.

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 June 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

from phone books online 1949

Carrier, F R , Ye Olde Ship Hotel, Burnham on Crouch

I suspect this is the one that is now The Ship Inn, in the High Street opposite the clocktower, but thats a guess - there is a museum in Burnham - it might be worth contacting them to see if the can confirm

Picture can be seen here

http://deadpubs.co.uk/EssexPubs/Burnham/ship.shtml

ec

Offline tink.tech

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 June 12 18:22 BST (UK) »
hi bob

http://www.burnham.org.uk/pubs.htm

This website may help and has pictures of all the pubs in Burnham. My grandma grew up in Burnham, we take get back from time to time but she doesn't remember the sheep with 5 legs ;D
I think they left some time after the war, i'm sure you'd remember if you saw it :D
Helen

Just spoke to my man again the ship was at the end the road where the school was. This is on the high street so she is fairly sure yet old ship hotel it's the same as the ship inn. If I could show her a picture I could confirm it for sure but unfortunately I have no way. But from description i'm as sure as can be.

Hope that helps
Abbott _little wigborough
Potter_Essex
Yardley_sawbridgeworth
Johnson_Essex
Finch_Essex

Offline Bobc35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 June 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. From the 1949 phone book entry (which I could not find - where can I access it?) this has got to be the one. The date and name are too much of a coincidence. I must dig deeper to get more info. The local museum is a good start I think.
  Once again I am amazed at the information available on this site.
  Bob.

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

The phone books are online at Ancestry, but you would need a subscription.

The museum details are here

http://www.burnham.org.uk/museum.htm - there is a contact email and phone number - reading the blurb it says they are pleased to receive enquiries and help people.  It looks like it is only open certain days etc. as it is staffed by volunteers.

I'd like to know more about the 6 legged sheep  ;D

Actually just googled it - apparently not unheard of!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371135/The-lamb-extra-spring-step-Five-legged-Jake-peg-doesnt-let-extra-limb-way.html

ec

Offline Bobc35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi ec,
  I tried to e-mail the museum, but the e-mail was sent back as 'cannot deliver'. I then tried phoning but just got the BT answer service. Does anyone in the area know whether the museum is still open? When I logged on to their web site it showed the opening hours for 2010, so I'm not sure.
  I might try the Southend museum, which is only about 12 miles away, and see what they say.
  Thanks,
  Bob.