Author Topic: Howden marriage records for DALBY  (Read 8368 times)

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
Howden marriage records for DALBY
« on: Sunday 22 May 05 12:09 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for marriages of members of the Dalby family of Howden, all pre-1837, but I've drawn a blank on the IGI database for all but the last one. Some of course may have died in childhood and others may not have married, or married outside Howden - but SOME of them must have married in Howden!

Looking for the following (all children of David Dalby and Elizabeth Cade):-
1. Ann b1766 (poss. found this one =Joseph Stonehouse, Howden, 1798)
2. Jonathan b1768
3. David b1769
4. Hannah b1771
5. Augustus b1779
6. Joseph b1780
7. Simeon b1781
8. Octavius b1784 (from other sources, married Hannah Dobson, though details not known)
9. Henrietta b1787 (IGI gives Harriet married William Birks in 1816)

If anyone has indexed or searchable marriage records, assistance would be very welcome ! From other information we believe that at least two of the spouses might have had surnames Watson and Boniston. Unfortunately with births spread over 20 years, potential marriages could be spread over an even longer period so I understand such a search isn't practical without a database in digital form!
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Howden marriage records for DALBY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 06 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 06 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker - little further info, and not much progress on this one. I have found some tentative links with Dalbys in Gloucestershire, but nothing conclusive.

One success is that I have found Augustus - he became a Master in the Royal Navy and then married Martha Bennett in Saltash, after a move to Cornwall. Also tracked some of his descendants - his eldest son Henry was one of the first migrants to New Zealand in 1841, and another son William became RN Fleet Surgeon. Youngest son Nicholas was a major in the Royal Marines.  William's son Augustus became a country GP in Frome, Somerset.

Have also found Elizabeth Dalby (presumably the mother, but maybe a daughter-in-law) as a farmer in Asselby, in Baines's directory 1823.

Also Harriet (=Henrietta) Dalby married William Birks in 1816 after having an illegitimate son Robert Bolton Dalby in 1811. Beyoind that, no more info... but this is on a back burner for now as I am exploring other branches of the family. So the query can be archived, and I'll re-post more specific queries if I get stuck again.

Many thanks - Steve

Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 March 11 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you still need this info...     pilot.familysearch.org

listed as Dolby
Ann dau of David Dolby ..Baptism 11 Oct 1766 Howden, York     P00743-1   England-ODM   844555

John son of David Dolby.. Baptism 18 May 1765 Howden, York   P00743-1    England-ODM   844555

listed as Doleby
Hannah dau of David Doleby ... Baptism 9 May 1771 Howden, York P00743-1  England-ODM  844555

listed a Dalby
Joseph son of David Dalby & Elizth. Cade Born 27 Ap 1780 Baptism 11 May 1780 Howden, York C00743-2  England-ODM  558355

Augustus son of David Dalby & Elizabeth Cade Born 2 Apr 1779 Baptism 6 May 1779 Howden, York  C00743-2  England-ODM  558355

Jonathan son of David Dalby  Baptism 17 Jan 1768 Howden, York  P00743-1   England-ODM   844555

listed as Dallby
Simeon son of David Dallby & Elizth. Cade .. Baptism 6 May 1784 Howden, York  C00743-2  England-ODM  558355

David son of David Dallby  Baptism 25 Apr 1769 Howden, York P00743-1   England-ODM   844555

Henretta dau of David Dallby & Elizth. Cade.. Born 19 Feb 1787  Baptism 3 May 1787 Howden, York  C00743-2  England-ODM  558355

Octavus son of David Dallby & elizth. Cade. Born 14 Dec 1784 Baptism 5 May 1785 Howden, York  C00743-2  England-ODM  558355

Bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, Bendywendy -

Sorry, haven't visited rootschat for a while. Many thanks for the confirmations of baptism dates. Actually have quite a lot of information accumulated over the past 6 years - and in Feb/March this year actually visited a Dalby 4th cousin while on holiday in New Zealand.

- Sd

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 11:24 BST (UK) »
Do you have your RC settings set, to send you a message to your email address, when someone leaves a message on your RC Threads???
This way you will be informed immediately of someone leaving a message, but if you don't respond to that initial message no more will be sent for other threads until you have viewed the first message each time.

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
That's probably what happened. Message arrived while I was away in NZ - and although I picked up email on the trip, I was quite ruthless (too ruthless) about deleting things!

Offline MatthewG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 November 11 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if any of you have encountered Elizabeth Dalby, born in 1774 and married in Howden to Charles Singleton (son of an Asselby farmer) in 1792? I have assumed that she might be a child of David and Elizabeth Dalby - her children were given familiar names like David, Simeon and Jonathan. She doesn't feature on the IGI, but then it looks like no Howden births are recorded for that year at all...

Matthew

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 November 11 00:03 GMT (UK) »
That's an interesting one that I missed. Almost certainly one of ours, but I can't place her. The Asselby connection is significant. Do you have her parents' names?

David Dalby had a brother John, whose first wife Sarah seems to have died about 1777; I think he remarried (Margaret Usherwood, at Paull, 1 June 1778) and had at least two more children. Elizabeth could have been one of the later children of John and Sarah (the last I found were Catharine and Ann, christened 1776). However, there is a big gap between David's children Hannah (1771) and Augustus (1779) so she could be David's child.

regards
Stephen