Author Topic: Edwin G Lewrs/Rosa Caroline ((J?) Gibbs/ Fidelis Tighe, Frederick PARTRIDGE.sOME  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Yelsel2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fidelis Tighe did die in New Zealand in 1931.  Caroline (nee Gibbs formerly Lewis) travelled to NZ with their son John in 1911.  Caroline died 2/5/1913 in New Zealand.  Caroline had only two marriages - firstly to Edwin Lewis & secondly to Fidelis Tighe.  I also would like to find the death of Edwin Lewis.
My particular interest is in the Gibbs family.
Cheers
Lesley

Offline colin49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin G Lewrs/Rosa Caroline ((J?) Gibbs/ Fidelis Tighe, Frederick PARTRIDGE.sOME
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have tried over some period of time to get the death of Edwin George Lewis but cannot definitely say I have the right one. So far I have an Edwin Lewis died 1894 at Bedminster, shown as a coachman/domestic servant, aged 31, do not think this is the one, then an Edwin Lewis aged 40, died Haggerston in London aged 40. Shown as a metal worker. Have pursued this with reference staff in library, family history section but nothing totally conclusive. I have limited info on the Gibbs as such but have not really pursued that line. Shout if can be of assistance. Colin.

Offline Yelsel2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin G Lewrs/Rosa Caroline ((J?) Gibbs/ Fidelis Tighe, Frederick PARTRIDGE.sOME
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 01:04 BST (UK) »
G'day Colin,
I have found the funeral notice for Fidelis Tighe in Auckland Star, Volume LXII, Issue 255, 28 October 1931, Page 1 and the final line shows 'Friends and shipmates please accept this intimation' which indicates to me that he was a seaman. 
I believe that the first child of Edwin George Lewis & Rosa Caroline/Caroline Rosa Gibbs was Edwin Alfred Lewis. I believe that I have found his marriage to Edith Hodgson in 1908 and 1911 shows that they have a daughter named Alice Edith. The 2nd son, George H Lewis remains a mystery at this time. Their daughter, Lily Elizabeth may have married John H. Norfolk in 1915.  If I have the right marriage then Lily Elizabeth may have died in 1973.
I hope that this helps and we will continue our search for the death of Edwin George Lewis.
Cheers
Lesley

Offline colin49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 July 14 20:58 BST (UK) »
I have been away for over a year but am now back to trying just to clarify in my own mind re Rosa Caroline Gibbs.

I have a date of her marriage to Edwin George Lewis 15.11 1884.

I cannot find any trace re a divorce.

I have two dates for the death of Edwin Lewis 1894 in Bedminster, listed as a coachman/domestic servant, and 1904 in Haggerstown listed as a metal worker. I have no way of knowing if either of these are right

I have details of Carolinegoing to New Zealand and dying there.

I really would like to know if there is anyway anybody can find out if Caroline divorced Edwin or not. Plus it would be nice to have clarification of Edwin,s date of death and where he died.
I do not have access to BMD, Ancestry etc so if anyon ???e could help, then I will have to close on these two.

Thanking you in advance

Colin